Title: Dan Butcher's Replies | WordPress.org

---

# Dan Butcher

  [  ](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/)

 *   [Profile](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/)
 *   [Topics Started](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/topics/)
 *   [Replies Created](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/replies/)
 *   [Reviews Written](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/reviews/)
 *   [Topics Replied To](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/replied-to/)
 *   [Engagements](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/engagements/)
 *   [Favorites](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/favorites/)

 Search replies:

## Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

1 [2](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/replies/page/2/?output_format=md)
[→](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/replies/page/2/?output_format=md)

 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Multisite Post Duplicator] updated plugin, subdomain warning on every page](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/updated-plugin-subdomain-warning-on-every-page/)
 *  Thread Starter [Dan Butcher](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/)
 * (@danbutcher)
 * [10 years ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/updated-plugin-subdomain-warning-on-every-page/#post-8236788)
 * I just did a few duplications to make sure, and I can confirm that I can successfully
   duplicate posts with images as well as embedded video, audio, and other media
   files. In all the time I’ve been using the plugin, I have never had a post lose
   anything in the process. I have also been able to duplicate single posts and 
   multiple posts.
 * As far as I can tell, the plugin has worked perfectly for me, and I use it a 
   couple of times a month.
 * I appreciate the code to remove the warning.
 * If you need more details about my site configuration for troubleshooting, let
   me know. I’m happy to assist. MPD has saved me a lot of time!
 *   Forum: [Requests and Feedback](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/requests-and-feedback/)
   
   In reply to: [Get rid of emoji](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/get-rid-of-emoji/)
 *  [Dan Butcher](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/)
 * (@danbutcher)
 * [11 years, 5 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/get-rid-of-emoji/page/2/#post-6061878)
 * +1 for adding an option to disable
 * I don’t want unicode characters replaced by emojis.
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Simply Exclude] [Plugin: Simply Exclude] Illegal string offset warnings under php 5.4.5](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-simply-exclude-illegal-string-offset-warnings-under-php-545/)
 *  [Dan Butcher](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/)
 * (@danbutcher)
 * [13 years, 7 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-simply-exclude-illegal-string-offset-warnings-under-php-545/#post-2941078)
 * I’m also getting that error:
 * Illegal string offset ‘action’ in …/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simply-exclude/
   simplyexclude.php on line 2290
 * The plugin is really useful–but would like to not have the error all the time.
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[WP Super Cache] [Plugin: WP Super Cache] CDN Feature](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-wp-super-cache-cdn-feature/)
 *  [Dan Butcher](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/)
 * (@danbutcher)
 * [15 years, 1 month ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-wp-super-cache-cdn-feature/#post-2214914)
 * Donncha, just I understand what you are saying here:
 * I network activate WPSC and configure caching–that takes care of all my sites
   as far as the cache goes
 * I go to the WPSC settings on each site and put in the CDN info (even if it’s 
   the same for all sites)
 *   Forum: [Requests and Feedback](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/requests-and-feedback/)
   
   In reply to: [Version 3.0 Features](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/version-30-features/)
 *  [Dan Butcher](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/)
 * (@danbutcher)
 * [16 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/version-30-features/page/10/#post-1321499)
 * First, I’d like to echo [@jonpeltier](https://wordpress.org/support/users/jonpeltier/):
 * > Could you once and for all really and truly stop the visual editor from changing
   > HTML code that I enter into the HTML editor? Please?
 * This issue is a huge obstacles to many bloggers who, for legitimate reasons, 
   want to add html to their posts but also use the visual editor.
 * Second, I want to add my support for requests to make the wp/wpmu integration
   a priority. As someone who uses both, integration of the two would be a major
   step forward in making it easier for me to maintain my sites.
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [twitter tools 1.5.1a won’t authenticate at twitter](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/twitter-tools-151a-wont-authenticate-at-twitter/)
 *  [Dan Butcher](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/)
 * (@danbutcher)
 * [16 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/twitter-tools-151a-wont-authenticate-at-twitter/page/4/#post-956572)
 * [@dorianj](https://wordpress.org/support/users/dorianj/), can’t help you get 
   the plugin working (I’m still having problems with it too), but I can direct 
   you to the connections tab:
 * Login to Twitter, click settings, and you’ll see these options on the nav bar–
   Connections is the last one:
 *  * Account
    * Password * Mobile * Notices * Picture * Design * Connections
 * I checked there but couldn’t find anything filtering spam, so that seemed to 
   be a deadend.
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [twitter tools 1.5.1a won’t authenticate at twitter](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/twitter-tools-151a-wont-authenticate-at-twitter/)
 *  [Dan Butcher](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/)
 * (@danbutcher)
 * [16 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/twitter-tools-151a-wont-authenticate-at-twitter/page/4/#post-956570)
 * Twitter Tools was working fine for me a few weeks ago, and then stopped today.
   I’m getting the “Twitter requires authentication” message as well. I’m running
   WP 2.9 (just upgraded) and TT 2.0
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [help? – Custom SQL Query. How to ORDER BY two fields?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/help-custom-sql-query-how-to-order-by-two-fields/)
 *  [Dan Butcher](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/)
 * (@danbutcher)
 * [17 years, 7 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/help-custom-sql-query-how-to-order-by-two-fields/page/2/#post-711256)
 * artsaround, I’m glad you found the code helpful–but you’ve quickly moved beyond
   my knowledge!
 * I will add, since others might like to know, that I displayed the results of 
   the query using a table, like this; this loop follows immediately after the query:
 *     ```
       $pageposts = $wpdb->get_results($querystr, OBJECT);
   
       ?>
        <?php if ($pageposts): ?>
   
       <table id="tablestripe" width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
       		<tr>
       			<th width="12%">Number</th>
       			<th width="45%">Title</th>
       			<th width="15%">Faculty</th>
       			<th width="28%">Day/Time</th>
       		</tr>
         <?php foreach ($pageposts as $post): ?>
           <?php setup_postdata($post); ?>
       		<tr>
       			<td class="coursenumber" valign="top" width="12%">
                                       <?php $key="course"; echo get_post_meta($post->ID, $key, true); ?>
                               </td>
       			<td class="coursetitle" valign="top" width="45%"><a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></a></td>
   
       			<td class="coursefaculty" valign="top" width="15%"><?php $key="instructor"; echo get_post_meta($post->ID, $key, true); ?></td>
       			<td class="coursetime" valign="top" width="28%"><?php $key="time"; echo get_post_meta($post->ID, $key, true); ?></td>
       		</tr>
         <?php endforeach; ?>
         <?php else : ?>
       <p><?php _e('Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.'); ?></p>
   
       <?php endif; ?>
       	</table>
       ```
   
 * You can see the page in action [here](http://www.uab.edu/english/courses/course-offerings/).
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [help? – Custom SQL Query. How to ORDER BY two fields?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/help-custom-sql-query-how-to-order-by-two-fields/)
 *  [Dan Butcher](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/)
 * (@danbutcher)
 * [17 years, 7 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/help-custom-sql-query-how-to-order-by-two-fields/#post-711252)
 * I solved it by changing the code to this:
 *     ```
       $querystr = "
           SELECT * FROM $wpdb->posts
       LEFT JOIN $wpdb->postmeta AS term ON(
       $wpdb->posts.ID = term.post_id
       AND term.meta_key = 'term'
       )
       LEFT JOIN $wpdb->postmeta AS course ON(
       $wpdb->posts.ID = course.post_id
       AND course.meta_key = 'course'
       )
       WHERE $wpdb->posts.post_status = 'publish'
       AND term.meta_value = 'summer'
       ORDER BY course.meta_value ASC
           ";
       ```
   
 * I removed the filter by category, since only my course descriptions carry the
   custom keys of term and course.
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [help? – Custom SQL Query. How to ORDER BY two fields?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/help-custom-sql-query-how-to-order-by-two-fields/)
 *  [Dan Butcher](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/)
 * (@danbutcher)
 * [17 years, 7 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/help-custom-sql-query-how-to-order-by-two-fields/#post-711251)
 * I’ve got a similar issue, and I can’t figure out how to adapt the code above 
   to my situation. I’ve been using this code to generate a list of upcoming courses:
 *     ```
       $querystr = "
           SELECT * FROM $wpdb->posts
       LEFT JOIN $wpdb->postmeta ON($wpdb->posts.ID = $wpdb->postmeta.post_id)
       LEFT JOIN $wpdb->term_relationships ON($wpdb->posts.ID = $wpdb->term_relationships.object_id)
       LEFT JOIN $wpdb->term_taxonomy ON($wpdb->term_relationships.term_taxonomy_id = $wpdb->term_taxonomy.term_taxonomy_id)
       WHERE $wpdb->term_taxonomy.term_id = 22
       AND $wpdb->term_taxonomy.taxonomy = 'category'
       AND $wpdb->posts.post_status = 'publish'
       AND $wpdb->postmeta.meta_key = 'course'
       ORDER BY $wpdb->postmeta.meta_value ASC
   
           "
       ```
   
 * This produced a list of courses ordered by number, and it worked well as long
   as I wanted to list only 1 semester at a time.
 * Now I need to list courses for 2 semesters, so I’ve added a key called “term”
   that will have the value “spring,” “summer,” or “fall” (or I could number the
   terms 1, 2, and 3 if that would simplify things).
 * So what I want to do is first filter the list by term, and then display sorted
   by course number. I can’t figure out how to add in the code to filter by term.
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [Where is the post number in the management list?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/where-is-the-post-number-in-the-management-list/)
 *  [Dan Butcher](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/)
 * (@danbutcher)
 * [18 years, 4 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/where-is-the-post-number-in-the-management-list/#post-753967)
 * I would really like to see the post number added back to the display as well.
 *   Forum: [Installing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/installation/)
   
   In reply to: [Upgraded to 2.5, now pages don’t display…WTF?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/upgraded-to-25-now-pages-dont-displaywtf/)
 *  [Dan Butcher](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/)
 * (@danbutcher)
 * [18 years, 6 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/upgraded-to-25-now-pages-dont-displaywtf/page/3/#post-721900)
 * I’ve been reading about how WP rewrites URLs and came across this post from Mark
   Jaquith (`http://markjaquith.wordpress.com/2007/09/25/wordpress-23-canonical-
   urls/`); he concludes with a link to a simple plugin that solved my problem. 
   Hope it helps some of you as well.
 *   Forum: [Installing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/installation/)
   
   In reply to: [Upgraded to 2.5, now pages don’t display…WTF?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/upgraded-to-25-now-pages-dont-displaywtf/)
 *  [Dan Butcher](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/)
 * (@danbutcher)
 * [18 years, 6 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/upgraded-to-25-now-pages-dont-displaywtf/page/2/#post-721880)
 * Here’s another part of the puzzle that makes me think it’s something to do with
   permalinks:
    `.../wp/?p=4&preview=true` will correctly display the page, but `.../
   wp/?p=4` redirects to `https:.../wp/?p=4` and an error message.
 * Why would preview work but not the actual post?
 *   Forum: [Installing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/installation/)
   
   In reply to: [Upgraded to 2.5, now pages don’t display…WTF?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/upgraded-to-25-now-pages-dont-displaywtf/)
 *  [Dan Butcher](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/)
 * (@danbutcher)
 * [18 years, 6 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/upgraded-to-25-now-pages-dont-displaywtf/page/2/#post-721876)
 * I’m having a similar problem, except that my site keeps redirecting to https://
   for some reason–and Firefox tells me:
 * > The page isn’t redirecting properly
   >  Firefox has detected that the server is
   > redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [setting front page options in 2.1](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/setting-front-page-options-in-21/)
 *  Thread Starter [Dan Butcher](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/)
 * (@danbutcher)
 * [19 years, 8 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/setting-front-page-options-in-21/#post-512519)
 * I can see that the hardcoded list is a problem, but the wp_list_pages should 
   work–it’s part of wp, right? What’s confusing is that the post page is working
   fine–it’s only the front page that doesn’t work.
 * As a test, I did a completely new install of 2.1 with only the default and classic
   themes. I then created “Welcome” and “Posts” pages and assigned them through 
   the Options page to the front page and the blog posts, respectively. Everything
   worked correctly.
 * I then uploaded my modified version of Cutline, and the links work correctly.
   Finally, just to check one more thing, I turned on the permalinks function. It
   still works correctly.
 * Not sure why it worked this time around, but at least I know I can make the front
   page option work with Cutline.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

1 [2](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/replies/page/2/?output_format=md)
[→](https://wordpress.org/support/users/danbutcher/replies/page/2/?output_format=md)