WP YouTube Lyte connects to Youtube to get video/ playlist title, thumbnail, descriptions, … Up until now this was done using YouTube’s API v2, which allowed anonymous requests. Google is however shutting down v2, forcing developers to switch to the v3 API, which does not accept anonymous requests.
As a consequence, I’m working on WP YouTube Lyte 1.6.0, which will be able to use both API’s v2 and v3 (for as long as v2 still works, Google claim it will shut down in April/ May). In order to use API v3, you’ll have to enter an API key in the admin-screen.
Initial development on v3 is almost done, and I am now looking for some beta-testers. Send me a mail at futtta-at-gmail-dot-com and I’ll ping you when you can download the beta (somewhere this week). I’ll also update this thread the coming days.
Just pushed a first version of 1.6.0 for public testing to the WordPress plugin repo. Anyone interested can download the new version from https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/wp-youtube-lyte.zip and play around with it. Feedback is more then welcome!
looking forward to your feedback 🙂
I had a bash at this but get an error :
‘WP YouTube Lyte got the following error back from the YouTube API: ipRefererBlocked’
It’s probably something I did wrong setting the Key up as it was a little confusing for someone not particularly technical. An addition to the FAQ is mentioned on the YouTube Lyte settings page for the proper release so I wondered if you’d written that as I might have more luck following it.
Alternatively might having a Multi-Site set up on shared hosting with mapped domains confuse the issue?
Thanks for taking the time to test & provide feedback!
You’re absolutely right, the process is pretty confusing. I wish YouTube would not enforce authentication for these simple read-only API-requests (which are cached in WordPress), but I’m afraid we’ll have to adjust. I’ll most certainly provide a step-by-step (and possibly a link to a screencap-video of the process) in the FAQ.
As far as the error you’re getting back from YouTube; the problem is undoubtedly due to the fact that you did not enter a (correct) IP (or IP-range) when creating the server key. The easiest solution is to allow all IP’s, by doing the following:
* go to google developer console
* open your project
* click on “credentials” in the “api & auth” section
* click on “edit allowed ip’s”
* add “0.0.0.0/0” (without the quotes) OR your servers’s IP address (if you know it)
* click on “update”
What you’re doing that way, is telling youtube the key you generated can be used from any ip-address. There’s a very small risk there, as in that case if someone were to get hold of that key, (s)he could (ab)use that to make requests while using your quotas. I consider that risk minimal though (more info available upon simple request).
Hope this helps,
The zeros seem to have done the trick. Requests on the API are going up but not the errors and there are no warnings in the WordPress admin console now.
And everything seems to be working as expected thus far.
I’ve a suspicion I’m getting caught out on the domain mapping for my own IP address so I’ll investigate further.
Thank you for that and your efforts in general.
great! for your information; I’m currently working on a “test api key” button on the setings-page, to allow users to test a key upon adding it. I’ll probably add the server IP in the output in case youtube returns “ipRefererBlocked”.
@userrob: I just added functionality to test the API key from within the settings page, hope you’d have time to give that close-to-1.6.0-version a go as well 🙂
Will do once my hosting company has fought off a ‘concerted, large scale network attack’.
I took out the zeros and the test key button showed an error and suggested an address to try.
Adding that address initially resulted in an error message which again cleared on adding all the 0s. But a second attempt typing rather than cutting and pasting the the suggested IP worked.
Whether that’s significant or I just made a mistake the first time I don’t know.
I gave the 1.6 a try after making an API key and everything seems to work.
- The topic ‘YouTube API change & resulting upcoming 1.6.0 (testers needed)’ is closed to new replies.