Support » Fixing WordPress » XML to WXR issue.

  • Resolved ASWM_Will


    I think I’ve read about twenty threads on three different boards insisting that WXR and .XML are the same file format and .XML should be able to import without difficulty.

    I accept that WXR may be a type of XML, but it’s not the type exported by WordPress under Management->Export.

    When I go to Tools->Import, and select the .XML file in question, I get the following error:

    Sorry, there has been an error.
    This does not appear to be a WXR file, missing/invalid WXR version number.

    The .XML file begins like this:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!-- This is a WordPress eXtended RSS file generated by WordPress as an export of your blog. -->
    <!-- It contains information about your blog's posts, comments, and categories. -->
    <!-- You may use this file to transfer that content from one site to another. -->
    <!-- This file is not intended to serve as a complete backup of your blog. -->
    <!-- To import this information into a WordPress blog follow these steps. -->
    <!-- 1. Log into that blog as an administrator. -->
    <!-- 2. Go to Manage: Import in the blog's admin panels. -->
    <!-- 3. Choose "WordPress" from the list. -->
    <!-- 4. Upload this file using the form provided on that page. -->
    <!-- 5. You will first be asked to map the authors in this export file to users -->
    <!--    on the blog.  For each author, you may choose to map to an -->
    <!--    existing user on the blog or to create a new user -->
    <!-- 6. WordPress will then import each of the posts, comments, and categories -->
    <!--    contained in this file into your blog -->
    <!-- generator="wordpress/2.3.2" created="2011-04-06 16:14"-->
    <rss version="2.0"

    And ends like this:


    Which, I’m led to believe, is the correct structure.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • JonMorgan


    I just had exactly the same problem – I had an old WordPress 2.2 export and was getting the same error.

    I finally worked out how to solve it by doing an export of the ‘Hello World’ default post from a new installation of WP on my new server and seeing if it had a wxr version number in it. Which it did.

    If you paste the following line into your export file after the Language defining line in the <channel> section near the topyou should be good to go:

    You may be able to put it elsewhere, but that’s where it appeared in my new export and where it worked for me.

    Hope that helps.

    Thread Starter ASWM_Will


    Thank you, JonMorgan!

    That at least got it to swallow the .xml file. I then got a massive pile of ‘failed to import’ messages, but at least this is a new problem! πŸ™‚




    Thanks! I’ve spent a few hours looking for a solution to this problem and now it’s solved.

    The ‘failed to import’ errors I got were just for JPG images (about a dozen), so don’t let that put anyone else off. Worked like a charm.





    hey @jonmorgan thanks, worked as a charm!

    I am trying to import from one WordPress 3.3 blog to another. My file already has <wp:wxr_version>1.1</wp:wxr_version> in it. Anyone else having issues using the importer with WordPress 3.3?

    @ashlinixon, interesting coincidence of timing, but I too am having the same issue as well. I have a feeling this has to do with the WP Importer not being compatible with 3.3. I’m going to continue to look around and will post back here if I find a solution. Please do the same if you find out also. πŸ˜‰

    @sb_cole Unfortunately I haven’t found at great solution yet. I kind of think it has something to do with the WordPress Importer and the latest version of 3.3 as well. :\

    I was able to successfully import it after reverting to WP 3.2.1. After doing so, I upgraded to 3.3 and everything is fine.


    i found a solution to this issue .. you can download any old wordpress version .. and replace all files via FTP uploader .. all files EXCEPT wp-config.php and wp-content folder

    and everything is going to be ok

    seems to be an issue with the importer plugin with 3.3 new update !! πŸ™

    I’m also having this problem… Exporting from a 3.3 localhost version to a 3.3 server version. Wasn’t expecting any issues, but the import/export function of 3.3 seems broken.

    How come this hasn’t been flagged up and fixed yet? It’s a pretty crucial function WordPress! Has ANYONE found a solution that doesn’t involve re-installing WordPress to an older version?

    Same issue here, on WP 3.3.

    Rolling back the WP version indeed works, but is very annoying, and I’m unwilling to perform it on large blog networks.

    I filled in a ticket about it with the bits of information here, let’s see what happens.

    I got hit with a similar situation.

    In my case, It turned out to be a file permission/ownership issue. It appears that the WP core functions the importer plugin uses to upload the file do not provide error reporting for an instance where the the uploads, latest year and month directories exist but WordPress doesn’t have the ownership and permission to write the file to the latest month dir. In this particular case the error reporting falls back to the plugin and

    Sorry, there has been an error.
    This does not appear to be a WXR file, missing/invalid WXR version number.

    is the resulting error.

    So if it happens to you on a unix box… chown or chmod your latest month’s directory and it may fix the import issue.

    Hope that helps.

    Thank you emhr.
    I’have solved the error with that solution!!

    that worked for me as well thanks

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The topic ‘XML to WXR issue.’ is closed to new replies.