I wanted to update WP to version 3.0.4 and read the "before you's..."
Having made a backup of both content and db's, I deleted my site and restored it from local backups.
The public pages all seem to be intact (my site is still in it's infancy and there's not a great deal of content yet). However, when entering wp-admin and using the GUI's to carry on adding content to my site, I noticed that the 'edit pages' GUI is broken.
The 'visual pane' has content but it's all white/invisble, clicking the 'html' tab shows the html code and when clicking back to 'visual' the html code remains visible.
There may be other breakages that I am not aware of yet.
As for a bit of background to the saga...
• My hosting service is through 000webhost.
• I was unable to execute an automated update of WP, as they have turned off 'name resolution' on their server due to a separate issue.
• I was unable to use their backup tools as I could not access the resulting tar.gz files produced by the tool for the content and the db's... another ongoing issue.
• I had to manually download the content and the db's using FTP and phpMyAdmin.
• Once these files were local, I zipped them, ready for re-upload.
• 000webhost's cp tools "1 click website restore" and "1 click db restore" are supposed to enable you to choose a local archive in .zip/tar.gz formats to upload to the host, where they are automatically decompressed and installed... neither of these worked!
• In the end, I had to resort to manually importing the db backup through phpMyAdmin, and manually transferring the 'unzipped' "public_html" via FTP (Fetch).
• This manual operation seems to have broken the wp-admin somehow... likely through mangling the permissions and ownership settings of each file.
How should I proceed?