I've finally found a way to fix the quirks I was experiencing with the media select files button and the visual/html tabs in the editor.
I've been reading all the posts on this subject and tried almost everything including updates the wp-config i.e.
define('CONCATENATE_SCRIPTS', false );
Unfortunately I wouldn't like to list all the places I looked but here's just a few that you can link to:
Here's some of the titles for the others, you maybe able to find them using Google:
- "wordpress 3.2.1" visual editor html tab not working
- "wordpress 3.2.1" html visual editor problem
- "wordpress 3.2.1" html mode problem
- "wordpress 3.2.1" html tab visual editor problem
- "wordpress 3.2.1" switching html tab visual editor problem
- "wordpress 3.2.1" html tab problem
- wordpress 3.2.1 switching html tab visual editor fix
- wordpress 3.2.1 update visual editor fix
Good luck if any the above help you.
I followed as much of the instructions as I could and I also installed some plugins to try and fix the problem (as suggested):
I tried some various plugins also:
At least the "wordpress flash uploader" worked and the 'script_debug' did fix the media select files button.
Unfortunately neither fixed the editor.
I decided to follow the manual install instructions again when re-installing on my local machine using (which i'd already done and had success) xampp for windows
I kept the install simple and updated my wp-config as normal.
Voila it worked! The image uploader worked, meaning the flash select file button worked. Also the editor worked.
Well of course it always did but it was just the reassurance I needed to know it was still a very simple process.
I followed the exact process on my virtual host. I created the database and database user exactly the same way.
I didn't use the fantastico/cpanel option. I just extracted (unzipped) the files into a chosen directory and performed the same manual install. My host allows me to extract on the host using the file manager. So i just uploaded the wordpress zip file using FTP.
I uploaded my local machine's wp-config, which I first edited to match the database online because my virtual host put a prefix before the database name e.g. prefix_my-db-name.
After the same process was followed I checked the same areas that had the issues previously i.e. image upload and visual editor tabs and the problem were still there. Meaning the 'select files' button was not found and the visual editor html tab was still not working.
So the final step was left which is to import the database backup, which contained only the basic installed tables, default template and plugins.
It worked! The WordPress installed on my virtual host is now working exactly the same way as my localhost!
No messing with deactivating plugins or installing new plugins or changing themes or uploading jquery files or copying fresh files using FTP!
Just a simple installation using the manual install process and importing my local machine database.
Good luck I hope the same will work for you.