so I installed 3.0.4 fresh onto my server, and got it working. This website is (free) for a friend of a friend, so I basically installed it, themed it, tested it, and handed it over.
Today, he called trying to install plugins, asking what PHP5 is. I forgot to enable it through my host, so I figured quick-fix right?
Wrong. Here's where it gets annoying:
As soon as I enable PHP5 the entire site stops working, see here:
So I figured, well, this this is a free job, not payed, lets just use PHP4 plugins.
Almost every plugin I try to install gets a Fatal Error with some PHP syntax problems. I'm guessing they all use PHP5, but don't explicitly require it.
Also, the few plugins that were able to install AND activate, barely work. They are full of errors, or display/render incorrectly.
As far as the server configuration, I have SEVERAL WordPress blogs installed over 3 different virtual severs, all leased by the same company. All of them work with PHP5, and they are all basically set up in the same way. The only difference is that the others are 3.0.3.
Just for debugging I CHMODd the entire directory to 777. I wouldn't normally do this, but I wanted to see if there was some hidden permission error. Still doesn't work.
At this point, I just cant figure it out. This is the first time I've seen a colossal failure like this.