This is a General recommendation and Feedback to the WordPress Team how to make WP better, So on the Hosted version there is now the “PRO” version which is cool, and there is also the JetPack Plugin, my Idea is to make wordpress.com & wordpress self hostet 100% the same which is easier for the developer teams behind WP and reduces bugs. Since WordPress is from the beginning all about plugins I suggest to create an Official Plugin called “WordPress PRO” which is a fusion of WP Pro Hosted and JetPack and sell it as a service for a Monthly/yearly fee. This gives users the ability to have it installed by default if they Host with wordpress.com or install it themselves and pay from there if they are on a self hosted solution, that way WordPress can sell the PRO feature to all WordPress Users no matter where they are Hosted and maximize revenue, Users will also trust the official “WordPress PRO” Plugin more and will rather use it over a third party plugins for critical features. I will write now two small lists with features I think “WordPress PRO” should have and WordPress in General should have.
WordPress PRO Plugin Features
- Everything current WordPress.com PRO has
- Everything JETPACK PRO has
- Built in Data Builder (Basically everything ACF & CPTUI do in one Plugin), maybe acquire them?
- OAuth, All OAuth Providers that exist and also allow interacting with WP REST API over OAuth authentication
- Staging Branche, when we implement new features or install/test new plugins allow us to create a staging Branche which is completely independent of the Live Site and use a copy of the current DB, make that test sites available over some other path and when we are sure nothing breaks and we are ready to ship we go Live
- The Blog Era is over and Browsers are not the only Window people interact with, that means focus on turning WordPress into a CMS Data platform & App Builder, Competition is in this area already years ahead and WP will loose here when the older WP Fanbase stop using WP, WP can target a huge base of App Devs with these features who would want to use WP as a serious backend for all their Apps and not only beginners. What I mean by this is Everything you can do in WP over the User Interface should also be possible over REST API including PRO Features.
- Dropdown Select on all Plugins where we can switch versions of the Plugin, this makes it easier to fall back to some older versions of some plugins for compat reasons (Maybe take some inspiration from NPM which has all previous versions of a package in the registry), And the same feature for WordPress itself let us go up and down with the version.
- i18n Multilanguage support built into Core
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.