First, I know many people have had problems with blank pages on their WP installs. I have spent 6 days going over the forum threads and have not found a solution that has worked for my problem.
Sorry for the long post. I want to give as much information as possible.
Here's relevant information...
1. I'm on a Linux box
2. it has PHP 4.4.1 installed
3. the WP permissions are set at 755 for the directories, 777 for the wp-config.php and 644 for all other WP files.
4. this is a brand new domain. No funky scripts, no other content, etc.
5. There are no additional files to what is in the WP download batch (no extra themes, etc.).
6. my error logs say the following files don't exist...
Failed opening required '../wp-config.php'
Here is what I have done...
1. I installed WP (version 2.0, I think) on my domain using Fantastico. It automatically installs WP and creates the MYSQL (for those unfamiliar).
2. I visited domain.com/wp-admin/install.php (I prefer to keep my domain private as this thread will likely show in Google) and see a blank page.
3. I visited domain.com and see a blank page.
4. Figuring that I screwed something up, I deleted everything (WP install files, MYSQL, etc.).
5. I manually create a MYSQL DB, update the wp-config-sample.php with the details, rename it to wp-config.php and upload all of the WP 2.3 files and directories to my domain.
6. I visited domain.com/wp-admin/install.php and see a blank page.
7. I visited domain.com and see a blank page.
8. I deleted everything (WP install files, MYSQL, etc.).
9. I hired a WordPress expert (yes, I know, I'm pathetic, but I was frustrated) to go in and do the install of WP 2.3 for me (thinking he'd be able to figure it out).
10. The WordPress expert tried to install WP 2.3 and saw the same problem.
11. The WordPress expert deleted everything and tried to install WP 2.2 and saw the same problem.
At this point, I'm at a loss as to what direction to take this.
Does anyone here have any insight into how I can resolve this problem?