I'm currently in the process of redesigning the website of a Child Rights organization called ANPPCAN. Their current website http://www.anppcan.org is in need of a serious overhaul. My overall objective is to create a professional site that is very easy to update for them when I leave. It appears WordPress is possibly the solution I'm looking for.
I have a few questions and concerns though...
1) I would like to create the main navigation in the side bar. Is it a smart idea to use Posts and Categories as navigation elements? I've been doing some research and it appears I can take away the comments and published info. Is there any other obstacles to creating a navigation this way?
2) I would like to use the 'Pages' on the top as links outside of the main navigation to 'report abuse' and 'make a donation' etc. Is it possible to keep the Posts/Categories navigation in the sidebar visible at all times? They seem to disappear when navigating to these Pages.
2) Is there a way to get just one sidebar on the left hand side?
1) Static homepage with updatable news section. Am I dreaming?
2) Contact forms and feedback. I read somewhere that WordPress doesn't do well with textfields/forms etc. Is this outdated info or will we be OK?
3) Pages vs. Posts/Categories for navigation. It seems every article I read changes my mind on how to achieve the best navigation system in the sidebar. I understand that WP is developed as a blogging platform, so this is perhaps why it's so challenging. Any advice or direction on how to best move forward would be greatly appreciated.
4) Any themes in particular you might recommend? I've been working with K2 and the general layout is perfect.. if I can get the sidebar working as a main navigation.
You can view the site map here if you think it might help.
Also, if I'm pursuing the wrong path completely just let me know. I am very hesitant to explore the paths of Drupal or Joomla... I think WordPress can meet the needs... but if I'm way off... please let me know before I've invested too much time barking up the wrong tree. :)
I appreciate your time and consideration if you've read this far. I'm a volunteer with this organization so any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated. ANPPCAN is doing great things within Kenya and around Africa... and their current website and identity don't reflect their role as a leader in the Child Rights movement. Any direction or guidance and how to best achieve the goals of the website would be invaluable.
Thank you so much for your patience.
Peace and blessings..