Support » Fixing WordPress » WordPress 3.9 Master List
WordPress 3.9 Master List
Hooray! Smith is here. But OMGWTFBBQ!? WordPress 3.9 broke everything?
This thread contains the known issues with plugins and themes found in 3.9. Please read this WHOLE topic and come back and check again later, as it will be updated.
Remember to be calm, be patient and be respectful. Volunteers are out here to try and help you, but we need your help too. All of the normal forum rules still apply. Remember, you are just as important as everyone else.
If your post doesn’t show up right away, please be patient. With the higher than normal post volume, more posts get flagged as spam by our auto-spam tool. We’re working hard to keep the queue clear, but making multiple posts slows us down, as we have to go back and check if you already posted. Post once.
- Do use proper capitalization in post titles and body. Punctuate your sentence properly and humanely, it helps us read.
- Do use descriptive subject lines. “All permalinks broken since 3.9” is much better than “Augh! Help ASAP! This version is terrible!”
- Do describe the problem clearly. Explain what you’re seeing, include error messages and link to screenshots if needed. Linking to your site, if the problem is on the front-end, also helps.
- Do be patient. We know it sucks to be down, but posting multiple times doesn’t get you help any faster.
- Do make your own topic unless you are using the exact same version of WordPress on the same physical server hosted by the same hosts with the same plugins, theme and configurations as the original poster. You may find it weird, but it will be easier for us to help you specifically if you have your own topic.
- Do mark your topic as resolved when it’s fixed so we know not to come looking there anymore.
- Do remember you’re not alone.
Also keep in mind that not liking the direction of WordPress’s design does not a bug make. If you don’t like a feature, please don’t make a series of posts complaining about it. Look and see if someone already did, and post there, or consider joining the process earlier on (like in Beta or even test via SVN). What you’re seeing today is the result of thousands of hours of work and testing, and unless something is outright broken, it’s highly unlikely to be changed.
Again, before you post:
Make sure you’ve read the entire Master List post – and the New Features in 3.9 Codex Article – http://codex.wordpress.org/Version_3.9
Go to your own install’s about page –
http://example.com/wp-admin/about.php– to see what’s new.
And then make sure you’ve tried…
- Flushing any caching plugins you might be running, as well as server and/or browser caches.
- Deactivating all plugins (yes, all) to see if this resolves the problem. If this works, re-activate the plugins one by one until you find the problematic plugin(s). If you can’t get into your admin dashboard, try resetting the plugins folder by FTP or PhpMyAdmin (read “How to deactivate all plugins when you can’t log in to wp-admin” if you need help). Sometimes, an apparently inactive plugin can still cause problems. Also remember to deactivate any plugins in the mu-plugins folder. The easiest way is to rename that folder to
- Switching to the Twenty Fourteen theme to rule out any theme-specific problems. If you can’t log in to change themes, you can remove the theme folders via FTP so the only one is
twentyfourteen. That will force your site to use it.
- Manually upgrading. When all else fails, download a fresh copy of the latest.zip file of 3.9 (top right on this page) to your computer, and use that to copy up. You may need to delete the wp-admin and wp-includes folders on your server. Read the Manual Update directions first.
- TinyMCE API 4.x – Plugin authors give this make/plugins post a read for what you may expect or encounter.
- MySQL in WordPress 3.9 and how that may impact plugin authors.
- Drag and Drop files into the editor — This prevents drag & drop of text blocks.
- New in-post media editor — This does not allow for in-line editing of borders and padding. Use this plugin – https://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-image-styles/
- Audio / Video Playlists
- Live Gallery previews in the Visual editor
- Live widget and header previews in the Customizer
- HTML5 Galleries and Captions
- Updated theme browser and installer
CHANGES THAT MAY IMPACT YOU
- Masonry Script Updates – Some themes may be affected by the updated script.
- If you preview other themes in the customizer, you may lose your widgets. See https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27897 for details.
The following issues are open trac tickets that are being reviewed and researched. If you have information to add, please do so in trac. Your forum login will let you log in them 🙂 Also once logged in, you can press the ‘watch ticket’ button near the bottom to monitor the ticket.
- Multisite (#27866) – SubDirectory installs with uppercase letters in the path will break in 3.9
- Widgets lost after previewing theme (#27897) – Changing widgets in the new customizer causes in missing widgets on your live site in some cases.
- Pasting Tables from Excel/Word is broken (#27909) – It strips all HTML and, if edited, breaks older posts too.
- Blanco (non-free theme) has been updated for 3.9
- Megnet (non-free theme) – includes the Aqua Page Builder plugin built into it. See below for info on the plugin. To fix, edit the theme’s functions.php file and comment out the line that require’s the aqua-page-builder code.
- Udita (non-free theme) – includes the Aqua Page Builder plugin
Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)
- MailPoet Newsletters FIXED – Issues with TinyMCE editor are corrected in latest versions. Please upgrade.
- ZipList Recipe Plugin – Version 2.2 has a problem with the post editor in both Visual and Text mode.
- Zedity – FIXED Please upgrade to version 3.1.2 of this plugin.
- Enhanced Media Library – FIXED Please upgrade to version 1.0.5 of this plugin.
- SoundCloud Is Gold – Version 2.2.1 disables the Visual editor and prevents text from being entered
- Ultimate NoFollow – FIXED Please upgrade to version 1.4.2 of this plugin.
- Admin Tweaks – version 2.3.8 causes the visual editor to white out.
- Qtranslate – version 2.5.39 causes the media uploaded not to function
- WPML – when active, the link button doesn’t work.
- Fusion Core — Needs to be upgraded to the newest version.
- Backup to Dropbox – Causes the dashboard to vanish
- Aqua Page Builder – Causes the Link button in TinyMCE to seemingly not work. Possible other breakage in different themes, as it is seemingly included as a feature in many themeforest themes.
🏳️🌈 Retiring Plugin Review Team Rep
NOTE: This applies to all language packs that were incorrectly pushed out such as nl_NL and en_GB. Once the updated language pack is updated (fixed) then roll back to the current version (3.9.1 as of this edited post) and the issue should be resolved.
If your WordPress version is showing “4.0-alpha” rather than “3.9” for a non US English install this is due to an incorrect localization build for your language.
Other than the incorrect version number there are no other code differences between the versions and include the correct 3.9 translations.
This can cause plugins to display compatibility notices “Warning: This plugin has not been tested with your current version of WordPress”
* nl_NL has been updated now, though previously it was serving up the wrong revision of WordPress (4.0-alpha), even though the data was correct (3.9)
* is_IS has not been updated at this stage and is currently serving up the wrong revision of WordPress (4.0-alpha), even though the data is correct (3.9).
Details to resolve the issue can be found here once the localization package has been updated.Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)
🏳️🌈 Retiring Plugin Review Team Rep
HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT VISUAL EDITOR ISSUES
Okay.. I have seen a lot of people reporting various issues with the WordPress editor after updating to version 3.9.
Remember… remain calm!! WordPress would not have released this update if there were problems with the core software. The update definitely works. BUT.. many themes and plugins have been affected by the update.
TinyMCE version 4. This is the software used to run the WordPress content editor. The framework has completely changed.. and most all plugins and themes which modified aspects of the tinymce editor will have to be updated. Plupload has also been updated.
There have also been changes with how WP Galleries are handled, displayed, and processed.
FIRST, empty your browser cache manually, and make sure to clear any caching plugin you are using in your WP admin panel. The content editor is notorious for serving cached files. Manually emptying and refreshing your browser cache may be the answer.
So, what do you do if your editor is not loading properly??
1. Deactivate all plugins.. yes, ALL plugins.
2. Switch to the defualt 2014 theme… because we know it works.
3. Manually empty and refresh your browser cache.
These steps are VERY important.. and should be followed concisely!
Now.. with NO plugins.. the default 2014 theme.. and a clean browser cache… go back and see if the editor loads properly.
If Editor Loads Properly
Now.. the editor should load properly. If it does not, skip to the next section.
We have a working editor again; YAY! Now, we have to get our theme and plugins back.
Start with your theme. Go back and switch to the theme you were using. Then, go back to the editor page. Test to see if the editor is still working properly.
If it does not… you know the issue is with your theme.
If it does… continue….
Now… let’s begin re-activating our plugins ONE AT A TIME. Each time we activate a plugin.. we are going to go back and see if the editor loads properly.
If a plugin was at fault.. you will eventually find a plugin that causes the editor to load improperly. That is your faulty plugin. You will need to contact the plugin author and see if they are aware of the issue.
If you are feeling super savvy… you can dig into this further by exploring the browser console.
This Codex Page has more information for how to troubleshoot these errors.
If Editor Still Loads Improperly
If, after all of these troubleshooting steps, the editor is still loading improperly… and there are no error or warning messages in the browser console… then something MUCH deeper is going on.
You may need to manually re-update your WP installation… or work out another solution. In this case, I would suggest starting a new forum topic, explain everything you tried above.. and explaining any other important facts you can determine.
I work in the editor extensively. I can assure everyone it works properly in WP 3.9. I see these issues all the time.. and 99% of the time, it is an incompatible plugin or theme.
- The topic ‘WordPress 3.9 Master List’ is closed to new replies.