I had no problems installing a previous version of WordPress on my webserver, I just now tried installing the version 3.1 on my localhost xampp server and I got the blank page problem when trying to access wp-admin/install.php.
What I did:
1. create database in phpMyAdmin
2. rename and setup wp-config.php file
3. try to access wp-admin/install.php -> blank page
- wp-settings.php is there
- adding the index.php line to .htaccess did not work
- removing .htaccess completely did not work either
(I mean the .htaccess file located in xampp/htdocs/xampp)
- I've also tried redownloading and re-installing the wordpress package
Any other suggestions how to solve this?