Support » Plugin: Wordfence Security - Firewall & Malware Scan » WordFence scan fails: “The current scan looks like it has failed.”

  • Resolved bcasey

    (@bcasey)


    I switched hosts to SiteGround and haven’t been able to complete a scan since the move.

    I get the following error:
    “Scan Failed
    The current scan looks like it has failed. Its last status update was 12 mins ago. You may continue to wait in case it resumes or stop and restart the scan. Some sites may need adjustments to run scans reliably.”

    The scan stops when scanning additional files. Before scanning additional files it says of found 7195 files containing 106MB of data. It then consistently stops scanning at 1151 files.

    I have excluded directories I believed to have lots of files or large files like images, cache and it still fails.

    I have increased the memory limit in the WordFence options to 256MB.

    I have tried adding define(‘WORDFENCE_SCAN_FAILURE_THRESHOLD’, 600); to the wp-config file and it just increased the time before I get the error.

    I have also contacted the host and they said they did what they could from their end. They suggested I open a ticket here to see what else I or they could do.

    The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hello @bcasey,

    Ivan Atanasov from SiteGround here. I took some time to check your account associated with the aforementioned domain and found no chat session or support ticket where this was discussed. I suspect you spoke with us over the phone.

    The problem you are describing could be caused by many and different reasons.

    It is possible that the scan is triggering one of our mod_security rules. I saw some ModSecurity errors in our web server logs related to your domain. However, there is no way for me to confirm as I am unable to reproduce the issue without your permission.

    Please post a support ticket from your SiteGround User Area so that we can investigate this for you.

    Plugin Author WFSupport

    (@wfsupport)

    Thanks for adding your thoughts Ivan. Another reason we think SG’s support rocks. 🙂

    We’ve seen Mod_security cause some issues like this before too. Since you guys are working this in your ticket system, would you mind reaching back out in this thread if it is or isn’t the issue?

    For the record, these are the things we usually ask customer’s to do if there is an issue to help us troubleshoot.

    • Kill the existing scan if it is still running (The “Start New Scan” button turns in to a “Stop” button while the scan is running)
    • Go to your Scan > Scan Options and Scheduling page and locate the “Performance Options”
    • Set “Maximum execution time for each scan stage” to 20 on the options page
    • Click to “Save Changes”
    • Go to the Tools > Diagnostics page
    • In the “Debugging Options” section check the circle “Enable debugging mode”
    • Click to “Save Changes”.
    • Start a new scan
    • Copy the last 20 lines from the Log (click the “Show Log” link) or so of the activity log and paste them here

    Reply back with these in case Ivan and SG aren’t able to assist.

    tim

    Thanks to both Ivan and Tim for your responses.

    I have opened a ticket with SiteGround and will see if they can fix the problem.

    I’ll post an update when I hear back.

    • This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  bcasey.

    SiteGround responded very quickly to my ticket and resolved the issue.

    Apparently the Maximum execution time for each scan stage was set too high. They adjusted this value and the scan runs properly now.

    Big thanks to SiteGround for resolving it quickly.

    I’ve tried to work with siteground to fix the scans failing issue. They have not helped and I have hit the 3 support ticket limit:

    “You already have 3 or more open tickets for this account, please update the previous tickets for additional issues or comments, or wait for their resolution”

    We have about nine websites in that account with various issues including wordfence scans, infected backups/restores and inaccurate malware/infection reporting from the internal scans. Wordfence scans would really help, especially since they fail at vulnerability and file changes. And their phone number is currently busy from my end. smh

    Plugin Author WFSupport

    (@wfsupport)

    @brent Please create your own topic instead of adding to this one. Have you followed these steps? Do this and paste the last 20 lines of the scan log into your new one.

    Kill the existing scan if it is still running (The “Start New Scan” button turns in to a “Stop” button while the scan is running)
    Go to your Scan > Scan Options and Scheduling page and locate the “Performance Options”
    Set “Maximum execution time for each scan stage” to 20 on the options page
    Click to “Save Changes”
    Go to the Tools > Diagnostics page
    In the “Debugging Options” section check the circle “Enable debugging mode”
    Click to “Save Changes”.
    Start a new scan
    Copy the last 20 lines from the Log (click the “Show Log” link) or so of the activity log and paste them in your support topic.

    Tim

    martychc23

    (@martychc23)

    I also had the same problem of Wordfence scans not completing on Siteground.

    When i moved hosts, the scans ran normally.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.