Something is going on with the latest version of wordfence. So far I have three websites with the same issue for some reason word fence is using up all the memory and causing problems. I had to disable it and go with a different security plug-in
Do any of you happen to be using the Cesis theme? I’m wondering if there is a collision going on with Wordfence and the theme. I have Wordfence running on 6 sites and the only one that’s affected has the Cesis theme.
@crazycharlie I’m using Make theme and Site Origin plugin but had a similar problem today.
I have not had this issue, but our site started to crash after update to wordpress 5.4.2. I also have issues with our back solution with fails to complete backup of the database. I think wordpress 5.4.2 have introduced something which is causing the error to occour.
I don’t think it has anything to do with themes. What you can do however is remove it with the wordfence assistant plugin. Clear out everything, then reinstall..
I’m sorry to hear that you’ve run into this. We’re currently tracking this issue. We’ve discovered in most, if not all cases completely resetting Wordfence has resolved the issue. Can you please share your server/system information? And before you reset Wordfence can you please take a Diagnostic report?
Please let me know how it goes.
@WFGerroald, I tried to run a diagnostic but can’t even load the diagnostic screen. It throws the 503 constantly. Going back to the main tools page in WF, I’m able to load the screen. Is there an alternate way to get the data you’re looking for?
I forgot to include server information:
Apache Version 2.4.43
PHP Version 5.6.40
MySQL Version 10.3.23-MariaDB-log-cll-lve
Thanks for reaching out. We’ve been investigating these reports and now think we have a cause and a solution.
One thing to note, that if you see an error in your logs about running out of memory, it may not be the same issue. It might be a case of needing to allocate more memory to PHP. PHP memory is cumulative. That means the amount set in php.ini is shared between all your plugins, your theme, and WordPress, plus any other non-WordPress apps you have installed in the site folder. We recommend changing it to 256M and upgrading to PHP 7 or above, which introduced better memory handling. If that doesn’t help, please try one of the other solutions mentioned here.
What we found is that on some sites the emailedIssuesList row in the wfconfig table had became too large from recording hashes of previously emailed scan issues. Reinstalling Wordfence fresh (where the data and database tables are removed) was fixing the issue but this lets us know exactly where the problem was.
There are 2 ways of fixing this.
1. If you are comfortable using MySQL queries you can issue this command using PHPMyAdmin in your hosting control panel:
delete from wp_wfConfig where name = ’emailedIssuesList’;
2. If you are not comfortable with running queries do this:
Remove and reset Wordfence, using the Wordfence Assistant plugin to remove all tables and data and then reinstall the plugin.
We are looking at a solution to prevent it from happening again and hopefully will include it in the next release.
Thanks always for being patient as we worked diligently to solve this for our customers. Thanks as well for reaching out and providing valuable information to help us solve it. Let us know if this solves it for you.
Thank you. The MySQL update fixed the issue for me without a reinstall.
- The topic ‘WordFence Causes my site to crash with a 503 server error upon activation’ is closed to new replies.