Support » Plugin: Wordfence Security » Wordfence causes 500 error

  • Resolved jtibbles

    (@jtibbles)


    As soon as I activate Wordfence my website gives a 500 error and I have to deactivate it via the db to get it working again.

    This didn’t used to happen, only since the recent update.

    I have tried removing the plugin and deleting the tables and re-installing but it keeps happening.

    https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordfence/

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Plugin Author wfalaa

    (@wfalaa)

    Hi jtibbles,
    Please turn on WP_DEBUG mode -temporarily- and try activating Wordfence plugin again, by this way you should be able to see the error message that caused this “500 internal server error”.

    If for any reason you didn’t get any error messages there then you will need to refer to your server error log files, you should definitely find the reason there.

    You can also try disabling all other installed plugins, then try activating Wordfence plugin alone, if this works try re-activating the other plugins one by one till you find the culprit.

    P.S. you can disable the plugin via FTP by changing the plugin folder name to anything else (wp-content/plugins/wordfence_deactivated) for example.

    Let me know how it goes,
    Thanks.

    fatimajesus

    (@fatimajesus)

    Hello
    i have noticed today that someone was having the same issue that i do, when activating Wordfence. I tried to follow the debug instructions but could only access the debug log files on my sites (managed wordpress). I didn’t see or understand much in all that text but would like the author of the plugin to give me a email if possible so that i can send him the debug text , perhaps he can understand why i can’t install wordfence now, without my sites go down as seen at host-tracker with 500 and 503 errors. i really would like to install this plugin again if i can solve the problem of having 28 http down in each of my 2 sites, with Wordfence activated.
    Thanks

    Plugin Author wfalaa

    (@wfalaa)

    Hello @fatimajesus
    Try re-activating the plugin again with WP_DEBUG and WP_DEBUG_LOG both set to “true”, then if you encountered “Error 500”, you can send me debug.log file on “alaa [at] wordfence [dot] com” and I will take a look at the log file and let you know my insights.

    P.S. please consider opening a new support thread for your questions in future, replying to a 2-months old thread is not recommended as your reply -most likely- will not be noticed.

    Thanks.

    • This reply was modified 10 months ago by  wfalaa.
    jtibbles

    (@jtibbles)

    Apologies for not getting back to you. Thanks for your help.
    The problem turned out to be that the later version of WP needed more memory, so I altered the default memory in the wp-config.php to 256. It worked fine then.

    Plugin Author wfalaa

    (@wfalaa)

    Glad to hear that you managed to get this sorted out! and thanks for letting me know.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Wordfence causes 500 error’ is closed to new replies.