Support » Plugin: SG Optimizer » WebP images breakes images in safari iphone

  • Resolved niklasolai

    (@niklasolai)


    When I activate WebP images the images does not show on browsers that support the webp format. In this case Iphone Safari.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Plugin Author Hristo Pandjarov

    (@hristo-sg)

    SiteGround Representative

    What’s your website URL? We only serve webp images if the browser declare proper support. Safari does NOT support webp and you shouldn’t see webp images there but the original jpg/png/gif ones.

    dyfo.no

    Plugin Author Hristo Pandjarov

    (@hristo-sg)

    SiteGround Representative

    The problem is with CloudFlare cache. Please, check it’s settings and try to disable it for images. Without it everything works fine. Let me know how that works for you 🙂

    I was unsure how to do it in Cloudflare so I just turned webp of and deleted the images, but this the images are broken in Safari.

    Plugin Author Hristo Pandjarov

    (@hristo-sg)

    SiteGround Representative

    You didn’t have to clear the images but to stop CloudFlare’s cache because they are caching those requests.

    Plugin Author Hristo Pandjarov

    (@hristo-sg)

    SiteGround Representative

    You can do it from Speed > Optimization > Polish and uncheck WebP. That should do the trick.

    This is also true for other older web browsers like IE 11, etc.

    I have a free Cloudflare plan and “Speed > Optimization > Polish” is not an available option and my images are seen as broken in older browsers. My only option is to create multiple Page Rules in CloudFlare to get past this. I would have to use all 3 of my available page rules to tell it to not cache jpg, png, or gif. I can’t afford to use all of my page rules on this workaround.

    This should be in your official documentation for the plugin, fallback support is not natively compatible with Cloudflare. It shouldn’t take me a half-hour of research to find this out.

    My solution is to disable the webp option in your plugin. I can’t afford to lose 5% of my visitors for image optimization for the other 95%.

    I have the same issue as Daniel here. I’ve had to switch image optimization off (at the expense of a better google speed ranking) because it doesn’t fail-safe. Is installing Smush the answer, or are you planning to address this problem?
    Thanks,
    Tony.

    Plugin Author Hristo Pandjarov

    (@hristo-sg)

    SiteGround Representative

    You can either disable the WebP generation or CloudFlare. They just don’t work well with the system and cache content then serve it without any checks whether it is supported by the browser.

    Safari 14 will support webp. CloudFlare will still serve whichever version is cached first but that would at leaset work on Safari as well as all other modern browsers.

    is there one click option to reformat webp into original jpg or png format ?
    formated images into webp using SG optimizer ,
    but iPhone safari browser does not show webp image file ,
    is there one click option to reformat webp into original jpg or png format ?
    or do i need to re-upload all the images , bummer !

    is there one click option to reformat webp into original jpg or png format ?
    formated images into webp using SG optimizer ,
    but iPhone safari browser does not show webp image file ,
    is there one click option to reformat webp into original jpg or png format ?
    or do i need to re-upload all the images , bummer !

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.