I am using crayon outside the loop - no problem.
I really like the plugin and I also managed to get it working with just CSS and HTML5 in an EPUB3 document.
I am trying to modify the crayon that's outside the loop to include base64 inline image data, but this seems to kill the crayon.
I am using the plugin EP Image Base64 Encode to encode the image.
I tested this to make sure that it was the base64 data that was killing the crayon by rotating between the old crayon code and the code that included the base64. I know the base64 plugin is not the problem because I echoed the output just before the crayon process.
I did a search of the code but only found a reference in util.class for email.