WordPress.org

Support

Support » Plugins and Hacks » Upgrading to W3 Total Cache 0.9.2.4 breaks website.

Upgrading to W3 Total Cache 0.9.2.4 breaks website.

  • modyours
    Member

    @modyours

    I have two websites hosted both on wordpress 3.2.1, using W3 Total Cache.

    I tried manually updating it as usual and it broke my website with error 500. I’ve tried twice now, on both websites and each time it cripples the website with a 500 error. Downgrading solves the issue so for now I’m just keeping it at the old version. I’ve updated before and never had this issue before though.

    Anyone else having this issue?

    I’m running Cent OS 64-bit w/PHP 5.3.6 and xCache 1.3.2.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • bluesteel124
    Member

    @bluesteel124

    Yes, I had a similar issue. 0.9.24 caused my forum to display a blank page. Just to clarify I don’t use W3TC for the forum but I have WordPress and a forum integrated.

    I tried changing everything but I had to go back to 0.9.2.3, I submitted feedback about the issue. Maybe the next update won’t do the same thing.

    Galerio
    Member

    @galerio

    Same thing to me, after the upgrade I get blank pages.

    Galerio
    Member

    @galerio

    I have solved by disabling the plugin and then uploading the upgrade with ftp.
    Maybe something went wrong with the autoupdate.

    modyours
    Member

    @modyours

    I’ll have to try disabling it and manually updating it again. I’ll update you all when I try it. Probably later tonight I’ll give it a whirl.

    I hope it works since W3 Total Cache 0.9.2.4 has lots of updates to many core features that I use. Mostly am looking at xCache improvements.

    Steve_Weissmann
    Member

    @steve_weissmann

    Same thing happened to me.

    I deleted the folder with the plugin, and site is working, but can’t login to the admin.

    I get the following error:
    W3 Total Cache Error: some files appear to be missing or out of place. Please re-install plugin or remove /var/www/html/tumbleweedhouses.com/1/wp-content/advanced-cache.php.

    Tried to delete advanced-cache.php, but got a 500 error, so I put it back.

    At least my site is up and running, but can’t get into back end.

    modyours
    Member

    @modyours

    Well no good news on my front. I tried to baby the upgrade process in every way.

    – Disabled W3 Total Cache.
    – Deleted old ‘w3-total-cache’ folder.
    – Uploaded new ‘w3-total-cache’ folder.
    – Instant Apache error 500.
    – Deleted new ‘w3-total-cache’ folder.. everything worked again.

    So from attempting to update this plugin numerous times (both manual FTP or automatic w/WP Admin Area.) I think it’s safe to say there’s either some very common conflict with all our setups, or simply a bug that got overlooked by the developer. I’d guess the latter.

    Mike
    Member

    @maddogmike

    Any update on this? I’m looking forward to implementing the improvements touted in 0.9.2.4, but I’m reluctant to update due to all the scary bugs people are reporting!

    modyours
    Member

    @modyours

    I haven’t even bothered. I tried it more than enough that it’s definitely a bug.

    I’m just keeping it at 0.9.2.3 for now. Until someone can figure it out. I might contact the developer with this issue sometime today. Giving him the links to some of these threads. It seems to be fairly common.

    Mike
    Member

    @maddogmike

    Hmmm, sounds like the problem has something to do with updating from an old version. I was able to install 0.9.2.4 just fine on a WP installation that had no previous version of W3TC. Makes me a bit scared to upgrade on my main site that already has 0.9.2.3.

    JB Murphey
    Member

    @jb-murphey

    I upgraded just fine on 3 sites and on the 4th site it broke and gives me this error—no admin access—and no site—any help?

    “Fatal error: Call to undefined method stdClass::set_prefix() in /home/scary1/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 287”

    Stas Su?cov
    Member

    @sushkov

    set_prefix() method is used by $wpdb
    Looks like the problems is caused by the DB Cache.
    You can try removing/renaming the file wp-content/db.php as a temporary solution, and try again.
    If it works rename it back to enable DB Cache.

    Installing W3 Total Cache for the first time on my site (using the WordPress built-in plugin installer) resulted in a total crash. Fatal error starting in load.php (I think it was line 337)

    I deleted the plugin folder and thought it was all fixed until I read this thread, which is when I realized that I couldn’t access any admin pages. I had to rename three or four files in wp-content before it would work again.

    Everything seems to work now, but no W3TC for me.

    try setting page cache to basic and delete the .htaccess rules created by w3 total cache and let it re-install them. worked for me.

    Thanks for the tip. I had no idea all that stuff was in .htaccess even though the plugin was gone. When you say “try setting page cache to basic” I think you’re talking about a w3TC setting, but the plugin isn’t installed at this point.

    I’d try to reinstall it if I had a clue what caused the problem to begin with. At this point I’m thinking I should leave well enough alone, but traffic is causing server issues so I’m trying to lighten the load.

    There is definitely some bug with the latest version. I upgraded an older version of the plugin and I can’t make a single change to the plugin without getting an 500 error. It’s something with the way it updates the .htaccess file.

    I have to get rid of all the rules in the file and then the site comes back up. I try again and it does the same thing. I’m not upgrading any of my other sites till a new version is released.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Upgrading to W3 Total Cache 0.9.2.4 breaks website.’ is closed to new replies.