I have a WP 1.2 blog at http://www.bhatt.id.au/blog/ and have really hacked it with lots of custom code and added my own mysql calls to get it to do what I want
I am now considering moving to WP 2.0 to be able to use some useful new plugins and WP features but I cannot afford any more than a few hours downtime because I earn a substantial amount of money from ads
There are guides for upgrading from 1.2 to 1.5 to 2.0 on the WP site, but they assume that the upgrade is done on a live blog site and the blog will not work for several hours/days until the templates, options, plugins etc have been fixed
I’d like to know if the following is possible:
1. install WP 2.0.X to a different directory eg: /blog2/
2. I’ll add plugins, categories, modify the theme and template, chmod files/directories, add my personal hacks, make changes to WP options etc to /blog2/
3. somehow import the draft and published posts and comments from the MySQL tables used by /blog/ into /blog2/
4. Once im happy everything works delete /blog/ directory and rename /blog2/ directory to /blog/
Is this (or some other similar process) feasable?
- The topic ‘Upgrading posts from Large WP 1.2 Blog to 2.0 with no downtime’ is closed to new replies.