Support » Networking WordPress » Upgrade to 3.1 – A Positive Note and The Process

  • Resolved spherical


    Well kids, I’m happy to report that, after investing a couple of days reading four forums on the migration from 3.0.x to 3.1 and noting the land mines to avoid, my two Multisite installs are up and running smoothly. I’ve checked all of the blogs and there are no glitches so far.

    I generally followed the process here. I always do manual upgrades through an SSH tunnel, so that I know what goes where and don’t send my server credentials across the Net.

    Some steps I took in addition to those on the page, above:

    • Updated all plugins available
    • Backed up the database, both on the server and through a plugin and downloaded a copy
    • Logged in ONLY to the Primary Blog
    • Reset Permalinks from “Pretty” to default
    • Wrote down and then deactivated the running plugins – including those that were network activated
    • Set .htaccess permissions to 666
    • Renamed /plugins to /x_plugins
    • Created an empty /plugins directory
    • Renamed /wp-admin to /x_wp-admin
    • Renamed /wp-includes to /x_wp-includes
      – (makes a rollback easier)
    • Uploaded the 3.1 /wp-admin and /wp-includes directories
    • Deleted the root core files – not .htaccess or wp-config.php
      – (the latter is up one level anyway)
    • Uploaded the 3.1 root core files
    • Logged in ONLY to the Primary Blog
    • Ran the Update Network script
    • Logged out and back in again
    • Logged out
    • Deleted the temporary /plugins directory
    • Renamed /x_plugins back to /plugins
    • Logged in
    • Reactivated plugins that were running when I began
    • Reset Permalinks to their previous “Pretty” state
    • Launched all sub-blogs’ backends and frontends to check operation
    • Logged out
    • Reset .htaccess perms back
    • Moved over to the second Multisite install
    • Repeat
    • Did Happy Dance

    If it wasn’t so early in the morning, I’d get BLASTED.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Andrea Rennick


    Customer Care at Copyblogger Media and Studiopress

    # Renamed /plugins to /x_plugins

    that’s the same as deactivating except it doesn’t clear it from the list in the db.

    yeah, you can do one or the other. both is … extra cautious and also extra work. 😉

    But yay.

    Yeah. I wanted to ensure that nothing would go on with the sub-blogs while I had the Primary working on the upgrade. Didn’t know then if the “Recently Activated” list would work if I just renamed the /plugins directory and then logged in. Seemed to be a 50/50 chance that it wouldn’t record that, as then they’re simply just gone, so there’s no positive action to write to the database. This ensured that this wouldn’t be the case. Didn’t feel like tempting fate to try it the other way. I wanted it to work the first time. And it did. Having the “Recently Activated” list made the re-activation step dead simple.

    And yes, do rename mu_plugins too if you’re having issues.

    After backing up the database tables I test the backup by importing it into a different database and changing wp-config.php accordingly. If it works, I alter wp-config back again, then do the WordPress upgrade.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Upgrade to 3.1 – A Positive Note and The Process’ is closed to new replies.