The admin dashboard indicated that my version of WordPress was outdated. It provided a link (not an automatic installation option) to upgrade to 2.8.4. I downloaded the WordPress 2.8.4 install file and attempted to follow the manual upgrade instructions found here. I of course backed up my entire site.
- First, I deactivated all plugins as instructed and deleted a couple of directories also as instructed.
- Then using cPanel and Filezilla, I uploaded and extracted the zip file, which placed everything in the ./wordpress folder.
- I had to then move all files to the root folder.
- The wp-config.php file was nearly identical to the wp-config-sample.php file, so I didn't change anything.
- I returned to the admin panel, and it was left unchanged, and it still states that I need to upgrade, since I'm using version 2.6.
What did I do wrong? Is there no automatic upgrade available?