Here's my problem: After my manual upgrade to WP 2.8.1., Anytime the php is "intending" to locate me to http://mysite/wordpress, it rattles for a second mid-script and then the URL in the location field changes to http://mysite . At the root directory of mysite, wordpress has fallen out of bed- it's no longer operating inside the wordpress folder. MySite/index.php has its own unrelated splash screen. I'm dead.
Within the wordpress folder, there's something spoiled about index.php or its handshake with wp-blog-header.php or whatever comes next down the line. I don't know. Oh, I can view particular pages in the blog by manually typing in http://mysite/wordpress/?p=1 (or 2 or 3 or X) to see that page with its theme and content intact but something like clicking HOME sends my browser location to http://mysite/wordpress and then a second later to http://mysite . This sends me outside the wordpress directory to the site's root directory. I die.
If I type in http://mySite/wordpress/wp-admin <cr> to where it interprets me and sends me further to login, then I enter my info and after I (click) login, the browser's location field changes to mySite/wordpress but then changes to mySite and I die. Immediatley, I again type in http://mySite/wordpress/wp-admin , and this time, I'm (already) logged in and I'm at the dashboard: Updating pages, viewing pages, all good because they all have specific URL suffix like /?p=1. But clicking "Visit Site" and I die.
I gave this a second trial on a second blog. Just as prescribed at http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress, to the letter, I've now upgraded two (2) folders of wordpress blogs. At WP version 2.5, both subfolders worked fine, yeilding two separate blogs for years. These two blogs are nearly identical but each use their own database, and both use the 'wp_' as a prefix within their respective databases. Speaking of both, they have no plug-ins beyond those that come with WP 2.8.1by default. I checked and confirmed all Plug-ins disabled before the manual upgrade. Their themes are either default or classic or a third successful example downloaded from the 'Latest Upgrades' section of the WP site. Dashboard's Settings/General are correct as to their WordPress address and their Blog Address. At version 2.5, they worked fine. At version 2.8.1. I can (eventually) get to the dashboard of each and pretty much every page and post, so I know that the php is talking to the database(s) just fine. Config is fine. After the upgrade to 2.8.1, this same particular index page problem is occurring in two different trials, two different instances, of upgrading to 2.8.1. Something in the script is changing http://mysite/wordpress to http://mysite .