i have read the various posts on this forum regarding updating htaccess but each does not tell me what i should do with my setup:
1) i am on a mac and apache server and have mod_rewrite active.
2) i am using the default config = ugly (any ‘strong” reason to change to pretty?)
3) when i try to update permalinks i get the update htaccess blurb. there are no suggested rules at the bottom of my page. note: i get this message on an older site and brand new one with only two posts on it.
4) i changed the chmod on my htaccess to 666 and will go back to 644 as needed
5) i read the codex link = http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks
my question is…
what do i need to do to update the permalinks and is it best practice to go pretty, and if so, an easy fix from ugly with both my old and new site. is there anything else i need to know?