Support » Plugin: Gutenberg » Updating Failed, ver 3.8

  • Resolved trothmaster

    (@trothmaster)


    Hello,
    This is a site that I transferred from another domain. I used wp migrate db to change the domain name and zipped the files and then extracted on new server. I do this ALL the time and have never had an issue.

    I decided to install Gutenberg on the site to see how it would do. Unfortunately when editing Posts (only posts, pages are fine) when I click update I get “Update Failed”.

    Console shows this error:
    POST https://tcwprintshop.com/wp-json/wp/v2/posts/1326 403 ()

    Network shows similar 403 error:
    1326 | 403 | fetch | index.js?ver=1536783125:1

    I disabled ALL other plugins.
    I used the default WordPress Theme.
    I deleted and reinstalled Gutenberg.

    I contacted Siteground, and they could not figure out the problem and suggested contacting the plugin author. Siteground says they reset all the permissions.

    Thank you!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • I found the problem was, it was the permalinks, you may need to redo the permalinks that, fixes the problem. I just did that after a while trying to figure the problem was.

    Thread Starter trothmaster

    (@trothmaster)

    I should also add that the “Classic” editor works just fine.

    Thread Starter trothmaster

    (@trothmaster)

    Thanks Benjamin,
    Unfortunately I have reset the permalinks a few times and it still does not work.

    Strange little thing, before i was having the same issue and when i try and click on my previous articles/posts, it give me an 404 error, so i re-apply the permalinks and it worked fine for me, so maybe it could be something else too.

    Thread Starter trothmaster

    (@trothmaster)

    Yea re-applying permalinks didn’t solve this one unfortunately.
    I also can’t publish new posts, it says Publish failed.

    all I can think is downgrade to 3.7.0 for Gutenberg and re-apply permalink and update to 3.8.0. that’s one step i did to just in case.

    so at least I’m not the only one that’s having issue :).

    Thread Starter trothmaster

    (@trothmaster)

    I actually had 3.7.something first installed (def reset permalinks then too) and upgraded to 3.8 hoping it’d fix the issue!

    So what I just learned is that Gutenberg uses REST API and if a plugin that you may use that is turning off REST API, may cause this problem. This can be plugin that deals with security (maybe) or something that’s causing it.

    Also, since Gutenberg uses REST API, and it uses rewrite rules in place for the REST API to work. so pretty permalink is needed.

    but this wouldn’t be something that people would check when it comes permalink but is definitely a weird one.

    One possible way you can try is to disabled all plugins and leave Gutenberg and change permalink, and see if that works.

    Thread Starter trothmaster

    (@trothmaster)

    Yup as I stated in my original post I disabled ALL plugins AND installed the default wordpress theme and get the same issue. Thanks so much Benjamin for responding!

    Moderator Marius L. J.

    (@clorith)

    Hiya,

    So I’ve seen the 403 error a few times now, and it’s been relating to security rules implemented by hosts. You should be able to open your sites logs (it usually has its own button for viewing in your hosts control panel if they offer one) and it should give you a bit more information about what blocked the request and why.

    that’s very interesting. security rules, my problem was permalink so I had to re-apply pretty permalink and it fixed that, but I have my own dedicated server so I have full control, so that’s one thing is different.

    Thread Starter trothmaster

    (@trothmaster)

    Marius, Thanks for the info, I’ve relayed that to Siteground and they are looking into it. On my cpanel there are no errors in the error logs so it may be that the logs are beyond what my cpanel account can access.

    Thread Starter trothmaster

    (@trothmaster)

    UPDATE:
    Issue is resolved. Wordfence was installed and removed but the php variable was left in the directory. This was causing the 403.

    that’s awesome, always something very simple. glad everything worked out.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Updating Failed, ver 3.8’ is closed to new replies.