Support » Fixing WordPress » update went fine, then site blew up

  • I’ve used WordPress on this site hosted by GoDaddy for about 5 years or so now. I regularly update using the automatic update and it always goes smoothly and successfully.

    Yesterday, I updated from 3.X to 3.1.3(?) and it went smoothly as usual. Immediately after updating, I followed the instructions here:

    I got down the page as far as the instruction to click on “network” and got an error message saying there was some sort of conflict with “Peter’s collaboration email” plugin, so I deleted the plugin via ftp. After that, I got “500 Internal Server Error” every time I tried to load a page.

    I restored the wp-config.php file to the original, but no joy.

    GoDaddy first tried to tell me I had a plugin problem and needed to delete the plugin causing the problem. Then they tried to tell me I had the front page redirecting to the wrong url – it went to blogs/wordpress/index.html and they felt it should go to blogs/wordpress/index.php. I pointed out it hadn’t changed in 5 years for one thing and for another, that wouldn’t explain why I can’t access ANY of the WordPress pages. Not the dashboard, no messages, nothing. I always get the same error message:

    “The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

    Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.”

    GoDaddy says they cannot help me with this issue and I should ask here.

    Heaps of gratitude to anyone willing to take this mess on and offer some advice. I am planning to move to another host within a week or two, but would like to get the site repaired in the meantime.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Hey scubydu,

    Try renaming the .htaccess to .htaccessx and see if that works

    Thanks, HTS! I did try that and it’s still broken, but it’s broken slightly differently. I’m going to try a restore. Though there’s no reason a restore should work, I figure it won’t be any worse than it is now.

    Thanks again!

    no probs scubydu, remember that internal server errors are usually caused by a faulty server configuration file, on apache servers that would be the .htaccess

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘update went fine, then site blew up’ is closed to new replies.