Support » Plugin: The SEO Framework » Unresolved WPML issue

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Plugin Author Sybre Waaijer

    (@cybr)

    Hi Marc,

    Happy holidays!

    Is this issue related to the problem you’re (still) experiencing?
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/wpml-compatibility-121/#post-9755427

    If so, then it’s followed up here:
    https://github.com/sybrew/the-seo-framework/issues/229

    Thread Starter arbolife

    (@arbolife)

    Hi Sybre,

    Happy holidays to you too.

    No, this does not appear to be the same issue. I have an issue with only one specific page (the entire site is working fine for me otherwise). In the backend, I have all SEO settings done manually for pages somehow the French version o this page page https://www.arbolife.com/fr/services takes the English SEO settings instead of the ones I put manually in French on the back-end. Again, what I’m doing works on all other pages, blog articles, etc. Just not on this particular one. I sent you a screenshot back then through the interface you gave me.

    Best,
    Marc

    Plugin Author Sybre Waaijer

    (@cybr)

    Hi @arbolife,

    Could you tell me some details on that specific page, that’s different from others?
    Is it an older page than others, that was created using an older version of WPML, for instance? I recall some translation plugins didn’t generate new IDs for translated pages.

    With these speculations, I’d like to ask you to clone the page and see if the metadata is correctly fetched on the newer version. When that works, it might be useful renaming the slug of the old page (or even deleting it) and replace it with the new version.

    Thread Starter arbolife

    (@arbolife)

    Hi Sybre,

    I played with it on my staging site. I cloned the page and it created automatically 2 new pages with -2 added to the slug. I renamed the title, verified the SEO settings and published the pages. The problem persists with the French version having the English SEO settings.

    I’d be happy to give you access to my staging server if you want to take a look or play with it.

    Best,
    Marc

    Plugin Author Sybre Waaijer

    (@cybr)

    Hi Marc,

    I’m running out of known causes, and it’s likely very difficult to debug this without touching live code. But, I’d like to try one more thing digging for information.

    On your staging site, could you add this line to wp-config.php?:

    define( 'THE_SEO_FRAMEWORK_DEBUG', true );
    

    After that’s done, could you send me a link of the broken page on my contact page?

    Thank you so much for your patience šŸ™‚

    Thread Starter arbolife

    (@arbolife)

    Hi Sybre,

    Done, I sent you the link.

    Best,
    Marc

    Plugin Author Sybre Waaijer

    (@cybr)

    This issue has been resolved.

    For other users bumping into this issue, through exemplifying the causation and used resolution with English (base) and French (translated) content on subdirectory translations, read what’s below.

    The page IDs don’t match the content.

    The ID on the front-end is e.g. 100 (i.e. the English version).
    The ID on the edit-screen and what WPML loads is e.g. 101 (i.e. the French version).

    Because of this mismatch, TSF thinks it should fetch the data from the English version.
    WPML does have tricks up its sleeve to bypass this mismatch because it maintains a comparison language-table.

    To resolve this, follow these steps:

    1. Create a whole new page for the English version. Name the slug /en/pagename-2/
    2. Manually copy the content and settings from /en/pagename/ into it through the WordPress interface.
    3. Create a French version of it. Name the slug /fr/pagename-2/
    4. Manually copy the content and settings from /fr/pagename/ into it through the WordPress interface.
    5. Delete the old versions completely.
    6. Change the slugs of the new versions as desired (i.e. /en/pagename/ and /fr/pagename/).
    Thread Starter arbolife

    (@arbolife)

    I found what actually causes this issue in the first place.

    I was using the same slug in different languages: /en/services and /fr/services and no matter how many times I’d recreate a new set of pages, the issue would appear again. The trick is to use different slugs for each language, for example: /en/services and /fr/les-services and bingo the issue disappears.

    Plugin Author Sybre Waaijer

    (@cybr)

    Thanks for sharing that @arbolife šŸ™‚ I’m glad you’ve found the cause!

    I believe it would be helpful sharing this information with the WPML developers too, so they can take preventive measures.

    Thread Starter arbolife

    (@arbolife)

    Thread Starter arbolife

    (@arbolife)

    Hi Sybre, please take notice of the message from WPML on the thread above:

    It would be great if you can also contact the author asking him to reply us. You could also refer them to our Go Global program so that we can help them make their product compatible with WPML.

    https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/

    Thread Starter arbolife

    (@arbolife)

    Hi Sybre, good news: the issue ends up having nothing to do with The SEO Framework šŸ™‚
    https://wpml.org/forums/topic/issue-with-same-slug-in-multiple-languages/

    Best,
    Marc

    Plugin Author Sybre Waaijer

    (@cybr)

    Hi @arbolife,

    That’s great to hear!

    The code shared from GeoDirectory does raise some eyebrows, as they claimed TSF broke their queries… while I now think it’s vice-versa. However, I can’t pull a concrete conclusion from this.

    Regardless, I’m content with the “temporarily” solution provided, given that your pages don’t have duplicated SEO values. Keep an eye out on your Google Search Console account to see if any errors arise after the fix is applied.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Unresolved WPML issue’ is closed to new replies.