Created a domain based network (sub-domain install) on an add-on domain to the mainsite. Set up a wildcard DNS record and (according to other instructions ) made sure the other domains to be added were parked and NOT redirected. All of that really seemed to have worked -- you could access the Dashboard for each site but when you went to visit the site it would resolve to homepage of the mainsite.
Contacted Hostgator and they said that couldn't be done. The network setup needed to be path-based and the other domains needed to be changed from Parked to Add-Ons. That Tech person said he was able to make changes to prevent having to do a reinstall. All I had to do was make the changes to the domains, wait for them to propagate and set the network up again.
Did that. Was instructed to install WP on each of the domains. Did that -although in my understanding that defeats the purpose of MU. But I'm not sure and so I would like to confirm if this is how it should operate:
* Login as Network Adminstrator, see all the sites (there are just 4 total)
* Domain mapping is available in tools
* Can visit each site
* Can visit each Dashboard
* Can create pages/posts but nothing changes
* Log into a site (non superadmin)
* It's a different dashboard -- it's asking me to update to the latest WP
* This dashboard is the one I can edit pages/posts and it publishes the changes
* No domain mapping tool
* None of the themes, or other plugins I've added to the network are available
If this is how it's supposed to work -- installing WP for each domain, installing themes and plugins for each domain what is the multiuser advantage?