I am going to travel around the world in a few days and therefore I will have my own blog using Word Press.
I installed Word Press on my computer and I found a nice related theme for my journey: Travelogue made by user uplink. I changed some settings and images of this theme, to give it my own style. Everything went well and my site was running perfectly fine.
A couple of days ago I registered my own domain for my blog. I installed Word Press and I (immediately) installed/activated the travelogue theme. I went to my homepage, but ending up in a page with a HTTP 500 Internal Server error. Using a different theme didn’t give any problems, so it has to do with the Travelogue theme.
I searched on google and on this forum for a possible solution. A proposed solution was to adjust the php_value memory_limit as described as solution in http://wordpress.org/support/topic/373844?replies=5 (press the ‘here’ link). The solution also described that my hosting provider may also limit this php memory allocation cache. Therefore, I contacted my hosting provider. Also note, I could not look into my webserver log.
In respond, my hosting provider turned on error reporting. My Word Press with Travelogue blog returned the following error:
‘WordPress database error
Unknown column ‘link_category’ in ‘order clause’ for query SELECT * , IF (DATE_ADD(link_updated, INTERVAL 120 MINUTE) >= NOW(), 1,0) as recently_updated , UNIX_TIMESTAMP(link_updated) AS link_updated_f FROM wp_links WHERE 1=1 AND link_visible = ‘Y’ ORDER BY link_category ASC made by require, require_once, include, get_sidebar, locate_template, load_template, require_once, get_links, get_bookmarks’
Analyzing this error revealed that it is triggered by the function get_bookmarks (wp-includes\bookmark.php). I didn’t use this php file, but I realized that maybe a widget may use it. Ironically, I didn’t use any widget, but then somehow this code is triggered by a default widget. I activated one widget and my problem was solved.
So by activating a widget, the code in bookmark.php is bypassed and my problem is solved.
I hope some of you guys may see this post to be useful.