Support » Plugin: Gutenberg » Titles aren’t being filtered – Gutenberg crashes

  • Bryan Eggers

    (@moviedebuts)


    I’ve brought up this issue various times over the last year and now it needs to be fixed.

    The title field should accept only numbers and letters. Right now it appears to accept any kind of junk.

    Here is a headline of an article that I just posted:

    Brett Young, John Caparulo and Don Felder Highlight Station Casinos’ October 2021 Headliners

    While posting, I didn’t notice the “” character at the end of the title. It was not displayed to me until after publishing.

    After posting I went back an reviewed the article and the OBJ character is plainly visible at the end.

    If I try to edit the article to remove that symbol, Gutenberg

      crashes

    :

    The editor has encountered an unexpected error. Attempt Recovery. Copy Post Text. Copy Error

    The only way to save the article is to view the article in the posts list and do a “quick edit” to the title.

    However, you’ll notice that the OBJ item also appear at the end of the article link. I don’t know how to remove that symbol and I’m not sure what the ramifications would be.

    This filtering code is already written for certain other fields. It needs to be applied to the title.

    The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Plugin Support David Smith

    (@get_dave)

    Hi @moviedebuts,

    Sorry to hear you’ve been having trouble here.

    I’m aware of this issue and I believe it was resolved in

    https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/34602#issuecomment-923901650

    However, if you are on the latest version of the Gutenberg Plugin and you can still reproduce the error then please do recomment on that Issue (tag me @getdave) above with steps to reproduce and someone will take a look.

    I’ll leave this post open for a while to allow you time to respond.

    The title field should accept only numbers and letters. Right now it appears to accept any kind of junk.

    The filtering code is in place, but the object replacement character was a special case which – because it was in use internally – was able to evade some of the filtering.

    Can you provide any other specific examples of other characters that are evading the filtering mechanics?

    I’ve brought up this issue various times over the last year and now it needs to be fixed.

    Out of interest, please could you let me know where you have brought this up as I’d like to investigate why it wasn’t addresses earlier.

    All the very best,

    Thread Starter Bryan Eggers

    (@moviedebuts)

    Thread Starter Bryan Eggers

    (@moviedebuts)

    @get_dave

    I’m using the current version of the plugin and the  code was not removed from the headline or the link:

    Be Thrilled and Chilled for “Hunktoberfest” as Chippendales Create the Sexiest and Spookiest Playground for Halloween

    https://vegaspublicity.com/10698/be-thrilled-and-chilled-for-hunktoberfest-as-chippendales-create-the-sexiest-and-spookiest-playground-for-halloween%ef%bf%bc.html

    Thread Starter Bryan Eggers

    (@moviedebuts)

    @get_dave

    Also, it’s not stripping out carriage returns. Anything pasted into the title field should result in one continuous line of clean characters.

    Bryan

    Plugin Support David Smith

    (@get_dave)

    Be Thrilled and Chilled for “Hunktoberfest” as Chippendales Create the Sexiest and Spookiest Playground for Halloween

    I tried copying/pasting this exact text and it seemed to be clean in both editor and front end.

    Also, it’s not stripping out carriage returns. Anything pasted into the title field should result in one continuous line of clean characters.

    I pasted in a string of text with carriage returns in it and it creates

    1. A title containing the content before the CR.
    2. A paragraph block containing the content after the CR.

    I believe that is an intention feature rather than an error.

    If you see this error still exists then it would be greatly appreciated if you could raise an Issue report on the Gutenberg Github repo. Please include all the information the template requests to ensure it can be reproduced and debugged.

    Looking forward to getting to the bottom of this.

    Thread Starter Bryan Eggers

    (@moviedebuts)

    @get_dave

    I think what you cut & pasted was the browser’s graphic representation of the OBJ and not the object itself.

    Just minutes ago, I had the problem again:

    Celebrate International Day of the Nacho at Miracle Mile Shops

    And I also had another variation today. I copied a headline from a press release and it looked fine but when I posted the article the title was BOLD. The headline I cut & pasted had and tags in it. I had no way of knowing this until after the fact.

    You should know by now that all this junk needs to be stripped out when a title is created. You already have the code in some of the sidebar fields.

    Dave, I’m a content guy not a Github guy. It’s up to you to fix this properly.

    Plugin Support David Smith

    (@get_dave)

    Hi @moviedebuts

    I’ll do what I can with the information you’ve provided.

    I’ll leave this post open.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.