Support » Plugin: OSD Social Media Sharing » Title parsing in french

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Plugin Author osdwebdev

    (@osdwebdev)

    georg.io,

    There are several things that could be causing this. It would be great if you could provide us a URL to your website so we can look at the actual HTML. You can send this to us either through here, or via our email at webdev@outsidesource.com. This will help us eliminate some variables. Thank you and sorry you are experiencing this problem.

    Thanks, for your quick response.
    Here is a url
    The title of this page causes problem in case of sharing.

    Plugin Author osdwebdev

    (@osdwebdev)

    Thank you very much for the URL,

    Looking at your URL, the <title /> element in your HTML actually has those characters. This is most likely do to WordPress swapping out characters it deems as special for HTML encoded characters. Here is that HTML:

    <title>La prêtitude, c’est tout ! | Prêtitude</title>

    Your best bet would be to get that title correct. The other social media buttons work because they all use their own site scraper (which are able to read the HTML encoded character). I hope this information is helpful.

    Thanks, but that doesn’t really help. It means that I should fix titles that have that sign (‘) every time I share to twitter/linkedin/by email.
    Even if we suppose I can do that all the time, I am sure that my users will be bothered doing that every time they share.

    Do you mean perhaps something else that I didn’t understand?

    In any case I am not going to be fixing things in a repetitive way. I ‘ll search for a permanent solution. I found plugins that can parse correctly but they are not as lightweight as yours. I posted here in case you can do something for that problem. If it is not doable, never mind. Thanks for your time.

    Plugin Author osdwebdev

    (@osdwebdev)

    The title tag in your html has in it. In my last post, I forgot to put your title block in a code block. So this is what it actually is:

    <title>La prêtitude, c’est tout ! | Prêtitude</title>

    If you can fix this to not use an HTML entity then it should work just fine. Our plugin is just taking the title that WordPress provides (which has the HTML entity inside). Sorry if this is still not helpful. OSD SMS was not designed to be multilingual and we do not have the time unfortunately to fix that at this point. Let us know if you figure something out. Thank you.

    Plugin Author osdwebdev

    (@osdwebdev)

    Alright. Putting that in a code block did not work… anyway, the HTML Entity &#8217 is in your title tag.

    By googling I found the following code which must be inserted in functions.php

    remove_filter (‘the_title’, ‘wptexturize’);

    It works and the problem should be considered resolved.

    Plugin Author osdwebdev

    (@osdwebdev)

    Great!!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Title parsing in french’ is closed to new replies.