Support » Plugin: NS Cloner - Site Copier » This web page is not available – localhost

  • Resolved Dennis



    Been trying NSC and cloned a few one page sites on a new install with minimum plugins and settings in use, it worked as expected.

    When I cloned one with a 19 chars in it’s name, went to the site, this message welcomed me: This web page is not available.

    Deleted the clone and tried again with same result.

    In DB, NSC created all tables just as with the other clones. Is there a limit on name length or what else might be the issue?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Plugin Author Never Settle


    Hmmm. That’s strange – no limit that we’re aware of. Are you referring to the site domain, something like:

    I can’t think of why that should cause a problem, unless there was an overlap with the same letters in your Site Title and a replacement messed it up (but we have validation to prevent that).

    What did you see in the detailed log (link at the top after cloning, or found in /wp-content/plugins/ns-cloner-site-copier/logs)? We’d be happy to take a look at that if you want to send those to us here:

    Did you check the domain field of the wp_blogs table to see if it shows up? Does it show up as a site in your Network admin > Sites list? Did you check the wp_##_options table for the new site to see what the home and site url properties are?

    This scenario sounds very strange, let us know if you have any other insights. Thanks!

    Yes everything shows in DB and the site is listed in admin, it all looks normal to me.

    Sending the log now.

    Plugin Author Never Settle


    Thank you for providing the logs! We see that you are testing in a local environment. Usually the error “This web page is not available” in a local environment is a DNS issue. The request is probably not even making it to apache (or whatever you’re running) and WordPress. Are you sure that your
    host name:
    is mapped to in your hosts file?

    Everything is listed in both host and httpd-vhostconf but I did double check and found out the sub name in question, somehow and for a very strange and unknown reason got messed up, a 5 new characters had been added to the name in host file! Not even a word, just some random characters. Not sure how that might have happen as I did c&p everything into both files when I configured the host files for localhost and at the time I did make sure everything was ok.

    The site now opens normally.

    Thank you and thanks for this great plugin, I’ll give it 5 stars.

    Plugin Author Never Settle


    Right on! Glad the culprit was easy to find. That is really strange though – we’ve never seen that type of thing before either. Thank you very much for the feedback and rating!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘This web page is not available – localhost’ is closed to new replies.