[Resolved] This plugin is slowing down my site a lot.
Not sure why…I use wordpress + buddypress + bbpress and after i install this plugin my site starts loading much slower. It takes 5+ sec more to load any page.
Thanks for your feedback!
This sounds really strange and interesting at the same time.
Never noticed any slow down on various (testing & live) installs yet.
Any URL of your site handy?
Is that a Multisite install or regular single install?
Which version are you using? Newest 1.3.0 or before?
If you use the newest 1.3.0 could you please test one of the previous versions please, download from here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress-string-swap/developers/ (from “Other Versions” there).
I made a few minor changes to the class structure in 1.3.0 maybe this is effecting your install/server environment?
If testing that brings no difference you can contact me via http://genesisthemes.de/en/contac/ so I could have a look at your backend if you want that (would need temp admin account).
Thanks, Dave 🙂
i am running wp 3.5.1, bbpress 2.2.4, and bbPress String Swap 1.3.0 and had recently been noticing some major slowness on my site lately, forums page was taking like 7 seconds to load, using the p3 profiler plugin i was able to see that bbpress was taking about 2.6 seconds, and bbpss was slowest after that, after disabling bbpss bbp was down to .8 sec load and things seem much faster in general on my site
thanks for string swap btw, great plugin, is there a chance it could also deal with the “oh bother” text ?
Thanks for the feedback! Very helpful! I will do own testing now with P3 Profiler plugin.
Could you also test with v1.2.0 of my plugin if that’s also slowing down?
Of course, I can add the “oh bother” text for the next version – nice idea, thanks! 🙂
@allenpayne & @sam:
I am using WordPress’ own Gettext filter for filtering/changing specific strings that aren’t changeable on other ways currently.
The Gettext filter can have performance effects, as I have read, but it seems to depend on lots of factors. I was not able to reproduce it yet on my own installs.
You can read about this filter here: http://pippinsplugins.com/introduction-gettext-filter-wordpress/
Also, you might try a mo-Cache plugin [ http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mo-cache/ ] which caches loaded language/translation files, maybe you’ll see some improvement with it?
If bbPress core would make the desired strings filterable I would switch to that method immediatily once it would be available, though!
Thanks again for any feedback, testing and ideas and help!
- no difference between v1.2.0 and v1.3.0 (means my class changes have no effect 🙂
- since my plugin uses WordPress’ own Gettext filter, most of loading impact comes from that filter — see notices below for more details!
- bbPress itself has a much higher impact on loading – no matter where I tested!
To value these results you should have in mind, that:
- Always my plugin only had a small fraction of bbPress’ own loading time…
- the “P3 Profiler” plugin only detects the server load/processing time, NOT the time used in the user’s browser! Still, it’s a useful plugin resource to analyze things, of course. 🙂
- Results with P3 plugin differ from scan to scan a bit – not much but there are differences. This is fully ok, because the actual server load depends on a lot of factors (e.g. traffic, available RAM etc.).
- These results may differ on different hosting environments A LOT! If you run bbPress you already should have a server running with good performance and also give WordPress enough PHP memory, at least 96M I would say).
Usage of Gettext filter:
- This filter can have performance effects by design – that is not my fault (!) – it’s just that language files need to be searched/processed to change certains strings just before output/display. This just takes time. Period. — Read a little more about that also here: http://pippinsplugins.com/introduction-gettext-filter-wordpress/
- To change the strings my plugin changes I currently have no other chance than to use the Gettext filter for some strings! If bbPress would have even more filters for these, then things could go faster, of course :).
- The alternative would be to not use the Gettext filter at all. Since this is no perfect solution, as then my plugin would only be half as useful… However, I decided to use some constants to disable all Gettext filters in my plugin, plus a constant for every filter so you can only disable/enable what you want. I may also add this as settings (checkboxes) to my settings area of the plugin. — This update will come with next version but still needs some testing by myself…
Regarding bbPress itself:
Yes, this also needs to be more optimized — but that’s a job of its developers. Areas of optimization would be: autoloading of classes. Also splitting files and code better to only load things in the end when and where needed.
- if real slow server, you may NOT use bbPress at all… 🙂
- if real slow server, you may NOT use my plugin and change stuff manually…
- Gettext filters are awesome – at the price of some performance effects on some server environments
- with all that said, I’ll make a few tweaks around the Gettext filters component that will allow some custom disabling — wait for next updates of the plugin… 😉
I hope this clarifies things.
Thanks, Dave 🙂
Hi there again!
The performance issues could now be solved with the complete removal of the “gettext” filter usage, in favor of another, way better solution!
Please upgrade to version 1.4.0 of the plugin!
So this issue/topic is finally resolved! 🙂
Thanks, Dave 🙂
- The topic ‘[Resolved] This plugin is slowing down my site a lot.’ is closed to new replies.