I thought it would be a good idea to share my painful experience with those who cannot make it with the portfolio feature. Just follow these easy steps and it should work.
1) Start adding a portfolio category (Portfolio > Portfolio categories) and give it a name of your choice. For the ID choose lowercase without any special character, no space..)
Example : name : My Pictures
id : mypictures
2) Add a post (Portfolio > Add)
- Type a title to your post
- With the send/insert feature on top left above the editor insert your bunch of photos.
- Click the save the modifications button
- On the next screen of the popup at the very bottom of the page click the "insert a gallery" button. Close the popup.
You should now see a frame displayed in the editor.
Then in the right column of your screen at the bottom, click "set a featured image" link and select a photo in the gallery. Do not foget to select "set this image as featured image" before closing the popup.
3) In the right column of your screen, under "Porfolio categories, check the relevant category.
Click "Publish". You'r done.
4) To have this magnificent portfolio appearing in your menu, create an empty page with a title of your choise (example : My pics), select "portfolio" as template in the right column, publish it.
Al you have to do then is to add it to your menu (Appearance > Menu).
You can add as many categories as you like. Just follow this tutorial.
I hope I will make your day ;)