Unfortunately it’s still not working out for me.
I have contacted http://www.spexis.me who have confirmed that:
• They are using the same hosting company, Linux package plus SQL database as me.
• They followed WordPress' 5 minutes install and it worked straight away.
• The did have a couple of permission issues on some folders for specific plugins but the hosting company fixed it for them.
I have also done the following with no luck:
• Cleared down WordPress from my server and started the download again from the beginning being very careful with the wp.config set up.
• Downloaded a Theme outside the WP admin panel, saved it in the themes folder and uploaded it via FTP to the appropriate place on my server.
I am convinced this is down to the permissions not being set correctly on my folders but I don’t believe I have access to change this (I could be wrong). When I view the WP content folder attributes through my FTP client its set as 750 but I still can’t seem to change that.
I have e-mailed my hosting company and amongst other things asked if they can they look at my permissions again and make any appropriate changes. They havent come back to me yet but I am guessing they are going to refer to their previous response about Suexec running on their server and about making sure my set up is correct.
I guess the following next steps are left for me:
• If anyone can help here that would be brilliant.
• If not I will call up my hosting company next week and deal with the matter head rather than through e-mail.
• If they can’t help I will run it past some friend who are more technical than me.
• If all the above fails I will have to leave either WordPress or my hosting company.
Thanks in advance for any solutions. I am not discounting the fact that I have configured something very obvious wrong!