Support » Plugin: Wordfence Security - Firewall & Malware Scan » Theme customiser not showing

  • Resolved slhctech

    (@slhctech)


    Hi, I am using the Divi theme and when trying to customise various parts the theme options are showing but not the actual page that I am customising. The tab shows Customise: Loading…. but doesn’t complete. I temporarily de-activated Wordfence and the customise pages were displayed. I guess I’ve got to whitelist something in Wordfence but I don’t know what and I don’t know how!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Plugin Support WFAdam

    (@wfadam)

    Hello @slhctech and thanks for reaching out to us!

    We can try Learning Mode, as it usually fixes issues such as this for Divi.

    From the Wordfence Dashboard click on Manage WAF. Then you will see Basic Firewall Options > Web Application Firewall Status. Change the option to Learning Mode. Now perform the actions that were causing issues. This will help Wordfence learn that these actions are normal and it will allow them in the future. After you have finished performing the actions, switch the WAF from Learning Mode back to Enabled and Protecting. Now test to see if these actions work correctly.

    https://www.wordfence.com/help/firewall/learning-mode/ is an amazing resource for learning more about the WAF and learning mode.

    Let me know if this helps!

    Thanks!

    Thread Starter slhctech

    (@slhctech)

    Hi, thanks for coming back to me. Unfortunately, even in learning mode I still can’t see the page I am customising. I don’t know if it will help but the Divi theme is trying to open this page –
    https://mywebsite.org.uk/wp-admin/customize.php?et_customizer_option_set=theme
    (I’ve changed the web site name) so is it something to do with the fact that I’m trying to run a php script?

    Interestingly enough, if I deactivate WF, start the customisation in a different tab and then reactivate WF I can continue with the edit process without hindrance.

    Plugin Support WFAdam

    (@wfadam)

    It could also be a cache issue preventing this. Generally, Learning Mode will resolve the issue with Divi.

    Also, are you seeing any blocks in Tools > Live Traffic when you try to access this feature?

    Try to clear any cache plugins you might have, also browser cache, then set Learning Mode. While Learning Mode is enabled, try to do what you were doing previously and let me know if it works. If it does, then you can switch back to Enabled and Protected.

    Let me know what you find!

    Thanks!

    Thread Starter slhctech

    (@slhctech)

    Thanks. There is clearly a conflict between SiteGround Optimiser and WAF. Rather than just clear the cache I also deactivated SG and then tried the optimization with WAF in full mode. All worked fine. Reversing the process and deactivating WAF and reactivating SG also works. So somewhere in SG there is a setting which needs to be changed. I’ve turned off the settings for Dynamic caching and Memcaching along with all the front end optimisation but still no joy. WAF is far more important than SG so I’ll try WP Optimise instead and see if that is less aggressive. Unless you can suggest where I might find the conflict?

    Plugin Support WFAdam

    (@wfadam)

    That’s an interesting find. I have in the past seen a caching plugin cause issues similar to the one you were having. Never seems to be a certain cache plugin. You could reach out to Siteground to see what they think of the issue.

    Like I mentioned before, Learning Mode generally should fix this issue with everything enabled. It will let everything pass through the WAF, if its something that would normally be blocked, it will whitelist it, allowing it to proceed in the future. Sometimes cache plugins can have cached objects that can object this though.

    Let me know what you find!

    Thanks!

    Thread Starter slhctech

    (@slhctech)

    Thanks for coming back to me. I tried learning mode but SG is clearly jumping in before WAF has a chance to react, even in learning mode.

    I’ve now removed the SG Optimiser and installed the WP one instead. I will indeed write to SiteGround and see what they have to say. For the moment I’ll mark this as resolved but reopen it if I find anything of interest.

    Once again, thank-you for your time.

    Plugin Support WFAdam

    (@wfadam)

    Anytime @slhctech

    Please let me know what you do find!

    Thanks for your support!

    Thread Starter slhctech

    (@slhctech)

    Hi WFAdam. I’ve been in touch with Siteground and they’ve fixed the problem. Using the Siteground Site Tools, go to WordPress, Install & Manage, Manage Installations, Actions and then the three dots at the end, choose Reset Permissions.

    I have to say the Siteground help system is excellent. I wrote out the problem, went to live chat, got a response in under 30 seconds and a fix in 2 minutes.

    Looking around Google I think I could have reset the permissions using FTP but this way was a whole lot easier!

    Plugin Support WFAdam

    (@wfadam)

    Thanks for the tips @slhctech

    I am sure this will help someone in the future! I personally learned something as well!

    Glad you could find a resolution to this issue!

    Thanks again for your support and help!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.