Support » How-To and Troubleshooting » The loop and tables

The loop and tables

  • I’m tyring to recreate a template I built in Blogger with WordPress. I’m having problems with one aspect of the design. The template is a three column design, and I use CSS to put a line down the left-hand side of the middle column. For some reason, I can’t get WordPress to start the line at the top of the column.
    I’ve placed the CSS division just before the loop, so I’m not sure if this is part of the problem. I might have made a simple error.
    Blogger version: http://frolicofmyown.blogspot.com
    Wordpress version: http://www.frolicofmyown.com

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The middle div “blogbody” is only as vertically tall as there is content in it. Thus, the left border is only as long as the content in that div. As you add posts, the height of the div will increase, and the border will grow along with it.
    You can make a three-column CSS layout, by the way.
    That way you can scrap the table-based layout.

    I understand that the line is only as long as the content, but in my Blogger template the line started at the top of the column (flush with the image in the left column). With WordPress, the line starts a few pixels down.
    I’ll take a look at the CSS layout. That might be a better way to go.

    Your WP site has an extra blank div starting the page.. or so it seems. The image doesn’t seem to be shifted by it, but the middle div is.
    Just look at the source of the two pages to see the differences in generation. WP has some different div breakdown. And who knows if the table stuff has anything to do with it (tables wrapping divs… eeek…) — probably interacting somehow.
    It could just be the rap div, or it could be the blogbody or content divs shifting the middle row off. Not sure without more intensive debug, which I’m sure you can do more easily.

    If this helps, your divider line goes to the top when viewed in my IE6, but not in my Firefox. Also, your Blogger version looks like a loose Doctype triggering quirks mode and so looks the same in IE6 and Firefox, whereas I think your WP version Doctype is triggering standards compliant mode, and so you’re running into some cross-browser issues. I hate when that happens. Good luck.

    Thanks for the help. I’m going to start by getting rid of the tables and using CSS for layout. I’ll also ditch the “rap” division, since I can’t understand what it does.

    I just checked my page on IE 6 running on a PC at work, and the line looks fine. I guess Safari (where I’m seeing the problem on my Mac at home) is being picky. I want to be compliant, though.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘The loop and tables’ is closed to new replies.