Tanzaku theme & Facebook link thumbnails (5 posts)

  1. toilless
    Posted 2 years ago #

    There's a problem with this theme's multiple thumbnails generated by the grid and Facebook. I am not sure which one causes the problem, facebook or the theme.
    When I publish a link to my facebook page, it used to allow all 30+ thumbnails as a choice, but now it has been reduced and it differs: from 10 to 3. When I change the slug, the permalink, the available thumbnails come back to 10 and those are usually not the ones I need for the link. I don't want facebook to have the control over which thumbnails to choose from, and it's important for the facebook page link to represent the content of the post.
    Otherwise the problem if continues, will affect traffic to my website, and it already has.

    Before there was a debugger link available to fix the problem, which seems to exist in the permalink, for some reason. Now the debugger is not available, and facebook limits the number of thumbnails, which usually end up being taken from the end of the grid images, which are irrelevant to the content of course. Only sometimes the image from the actual new post is available as the first thumbnail.
    I cannot use the featured image because I don't upload images to my website, I store all of them on flickr, so that option is not an option.

    Any word of advice, how to fix this problem of volatile thumbnail availability on Facebook?


  2. dwasko
    Posted 2 years ago #

    hi - I noticed this too - first time you share it's 10 and then after it's 3. Don't know why, but you can force facebook (kinda) to share the thumbs you want. Add these open graph meta tage to your <head> of the theme:
    <meta property="og:image"content="http://urlofimage" />

    The debugger is working for me today.

  3. dwasko
    Posted 2 years ago #

  4. toilless
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Thanks dwasko, the open graph meta tags seem to work, the first image facebook fetches is the first one published, not the ones from the grid.
    I don't have to use the debugger (yet).

  5. toilless
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Well, it's happening again. Even the debugger doesn't work.
    I get this message:

    Errors That Must Be Fixed

    More Than One OG URL Specified: Object at URL 'http://domain.com/2013/03/accident/' of type 'article' is invalid because it specifies multiple 'og:url' values: http://domain.com/2013/03/accident/, http://domain.com/2013/03/accident/.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Theme

About this Topic