[Resolved] Tags giving incorrect urls to robots
I’m generating a sitemap for my site using freesitemapgenerator.com .. which is generally a pretty handy tool.
however, when it runs thru the wordpress files, the archives file seems to be giving it a bad url for tags. It’s kinda hard to explain, but for any given tag, say ‘alaska’ the archive page for that tag is apparently displaying an extra slash at the end:
for example, it says this page:
somewhere generates a url for
it seems to be doing that for every tag .. and it only displays a messed up url that particular tag .. for example, ‘alaska’ tag will give a bad url for the tag ‘alaska’, but no others.
it also does it for archives:
404 - http://www.alaskanalpinetreks.com/ramblings/2010/01/\ (found at http://www.alaskanalpinetreks.com/ramblings/2010/01/)
I can manually go through and correct this, but I’d rather not have to.
Given that it seems to be doing this for tags and monthly archives, it seems a possible bug? Or have I screwed something up yet again?
NB; I tried to temporarily fix it, just to generate an error free sitemap, but deleting the ‘tags’s section form the archives and main template files, but it still found this anyway.
Thanks so much for your help.
Have you tried using sitemap plugins with WordPress instead? It could be a flaw in the tool.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I’ve done that; the thing is I have a large section of the site not done in wordpress, but static html, and from what I recall, the sitemap plugins for w/p don’t go outside w/p.
I’ve used this one before, a few times, and it worked fine. Either there’s something funky in the newer version of w/p (not likely) or I’ve screwed up playing around with things I shouldn’t touch.
The greater point is that if a sitemap robot is reading some link incorrectly, then the googles probably will too.
I can’t see how to find the bad link, when I do a “search” in the View Source it doesn’t show that anything like “ramblings/2010/01/\” anywhere.
Thanks so much
Look for JUST a link of
Did you recently change your theme or add new menu items?
Oh, I’m always changing things .. but the navigation menu is all hand-coded, it’s not generated by w/p at all.
Could it be this kaltura plugin perhaps? It’s generating code like this
jQuery("#kaltura_wrapper_8961fb1f7a0125c13b680ba91f66752c").append("<div class=\"poweredByKaltura\" style=\"width: 480px; \"><div><a href=\"http://corp.kaltura.com/video_platform/video_player\" target=\"_blank\">Video Player</a> by <a href=\"http://corp.kaltura.com/\" target=\"_blank\">Kaltura</a></div></div>");
and from just a quick glance, it seems like the pages generating errors have videos.
I’ll bet that’s what it is. I’ll contact the plugin folks from there.
Thanks so much, that’s exactly what I had to look for to find it. I’d never have thought to search for that.
Happy holidays and thanks again.
Yeah, I’d put odds on it, if the code is being OUTPUT with all the backslashes like that.
- The topic ‘[Resolved] Tags giving incorrect urls to robots’ is closed to new replies.