Support » Plugin: Yoast SEO » Suddenly Facebook Open Graph issues

  • Resolved outrospective

    (@outrospective)


    Hello

    I’ve been using Yoast for years and never had any issues with FB open graphs. Now suddenly, I have the following warnings with the Problem, that my chosen Facebook image does not work anymore. This applies to all posts and even the older ones that worked some weeks ago with no issues:

    Curl Error
    Curl error: 61 (BAD_CONTENT_ENCODING)
    Inferred Property

    The ‘og:image’ property should be explicitly provided, even if a value can be inferred from other tags.
    Missing Properties

    The following required properties are missing: og:url, og:type, og:title, og:image, og:description, fb:app_id

    Thanks for your help

    The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Plugin Support Pcosta88

    (@pcosta88)

    Hi,

    We then checked the URL https://www.alle-schweizer-wettbewerbe.ch/fitbit-versa-lite-gewinnen/ and we can see we are outputting the right og tags. See image: https://ibb.co/qkYnpgk

    We also used the Facebook Debugger here and we see that curl 61 error.

    It seems that there is something in the way your server is sending the content to Facebook that is causing this error and preventing the right data on the page to load. As a result Facebook is just using cached content to show when you share the URL.

    Possible Solutions:

    1. Doing some research, we’ve found some reports that enabling GZIP compression can cause this, but we cannot say if this is the case on your site. See: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25405457/facebook-open-graph-required-property-ogtitle-of-type-string-was-not-provi.

    We recommend contacting your webhosting provider with these details, they should be able to provide you with additional information.

    2. If you are using Sucuri there is a setting called “Enable Emergency DDOS protection,” which blocks the site from any browser with JS disabled (except major searchbots). It could toss out that warning. This guide explains more: https://docs.sucuri.net/website-firewall/configuration/security-options/.

    If you are not using Sucuri you may want to check with your host provider or other security plugin authors to make sure there is nothing about the configuration that could case it. They may have a similar feature enabled.

    • This reply was modified 7 months ago by Pcosta88.
    Thread Starter outrospective

    (@outrospective)

    Thanks a lot for that information

    It was indeed the HTTP (gzip) compression for HTML & XML I enabled a few weeks ago in W3 Total Cache. With the option desabled again, the Facebook Debugger and therefore the FB open graphs are working 100% correct again.

    Amazing support!

    Thread Starter outrospective

    (@outrospective)

    Resolved

    jibranb

    (@jibran-bisharat)

    We’re not using Yoast so take this with a grain of salt. But I thought it important to share. Facebook appears to require compression. Here are their requirements:

    https://developers.facebook.com/docs/sharing/webmasters/crawler

    Once enabled the FB OG debugger started reporting success. We edited our htaccess directly for this.

    # Compress HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Text, XML and fonts
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/vnd.ms-fontobject
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-font
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-font-opentype
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-font-otf
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-font-truetype
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-font-ttf
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE font/opentype
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE font/otf
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE font/ttf
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE image/svg+xml
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE image/x-icon
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/javascript
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml
     
     # Remove browser bugs (only needed for really old browsers)
     BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
     BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
     BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
     Header append Vary User-Agent
    • This reply was modified 6 months ago by jibranb. Reason: typo
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Suddenly Facebook Open Graph issues’ is closed to new replies.