Support » Networking WordPress » Subdomains now working in multisite after migrate

  • Hi,
    I am having a strange problem with my wordpress multisite.
    I migrated the site over to new hosting. And since the migration I have not been able to access any of the subdomains.
    The main site works fine, and also all of the admin backend works. In the backend the subdomains show up, but when I try to point my browser to any of the subdomains I just get err name not resolved errors.

    I think the problem might be related to .htaccess because when I made my backups to migrate I later realized that I had managed to not backup the original .htaccess file (and like an idiot I didn’t notice it until after my account with the previous webhost had expired so I couldn’t go back and get it).

    From looking at other posts about subdomain problems I saw that mod_rewrite might be an issue. I asked my webhost if mod_rewrite was enabled and they added it to a php.ini

    All my plugins are disabled, so doesn’t seem to be a plugin issue.
    I set debug mode in wp-config to see if there were errors that might account for it but just some notice of something depreciated in the thematic theme.

    So long story short I have no idea what could be wrong.
    Hoping someone can save me…

    The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Con Schneider

    (@conschneider)

    Automattic Happiness Engineer

    Hi there,

    You can try and reset your htaccess with the default information: https://codex.wordpress.org/Multisite_Network_Administration#.htaccess_and_Mod_Rewrite – back it up before you do.

    Other than that I have had trouble with the wildcard settings in the past: https://codex.wordpress.org/Configuring_Wildcard_Subdomains – maybe that is worth checking out with your provider as well.

    Last but not least your php error log might provide insight. Turn on debugging and check the error logs: https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress
    WooCommerce also attempts to log any fatal errors. You can find these under WooCommerce > Status >> Logs (click on the tab). After clicking on the logs tab examine the dropdown on the right for any “fatal-errors” entry.

    Thanks!!
    I found the problem in the end… my faulty memory 🙂

    In the end I reached out to my hosting provider and found out that I needed to setup A records for the subdomains instead of trying to use wild card.
    (I am on shared hosting without dedicated IP. And I also don’t plan on opening multisite up to new user/site registration so manually creating A records for couple of subdomains I personally create is not an inconvenience).

    That is what I had done in the past too, I just forgot.
    So, anyway, problem solved now.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Subdomains now working in multisite after migrate’ is closed to new replies.