Subdomains no longer work after upgrade to 3.4.2 (4 posts)

  1. DPoncy
    Posted 2 years ago #

    I keep the latest install of WP on my server. When I upgraded to 3.4.2, my subdomains stopped. Mapped domain names still work fine, but directly accessing a subdomain takes me to a default Plesk page.

    To test, I tried upgrading another WP multisite on a different server (also Plesk 9.5), and I had the same results. My subdomains stopped working.

    Try http://egjournal.org/ (this works fine)
    Now try http://egjournal.fictionworks.net (you will get a default Plesk page--same site).

    Have others had this problem? Anyone know what's going on?

  2. directly accessing a subdomain takes me to a default Plesk page.

    Double check plesk, actually. There's nothing in 3.4.1->3.4.2 that would mess with Subdomains like that. Where are the subdomains pointing?

  3. DPoncy
    Posted 2 years ago #

    My hosting provider just got back to me and reported that the htaccess file was wrong, although it is still the same as it was when wordpress was first installed. They changed it like this, and now it works:

    #RewriteEngine On
    #RewriteBase /
    #RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    # uploaded files
    #RewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]
    #RewriteCond%{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    #RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    #RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    #RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    Options +FollowSymLinks
    # BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    # END WordPress

    Is this due to a php upgrade or something on my server?

    Another thing -- I have three WordPress multisite subdomain installs on my vps server, and only the one had been upgraded to 3.4.2. I checked out the other two and the subdomains worked fine, so I decided to upgrade one and test it. Sure enough, when I upgraded it, it too broke. Changing the htaccess file fixed it.

    Still would like to know what's causing this.

  4. Your host is... Well. Wrong.

    That's not the right htaccess for subdomains.


    Now it's possible you never updated your .htaccess, but in no way possible would that have flipped your subdomains to show a generic, server, subdomain message.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic