I know 404 errors are a common problem, but I've read through the first 9 pages of this forum looking for advice and none of the 404 problems seem to fit my situation.
I had two traditional WP blogs, each in their own subdirectory. It came time to add a third, so I wanted to convert everything over to multisite. I installed 3.0.1 at the root level of the site (which contains traditional web pages) and set up a subdirectory network.
My plan is to export each of the old blogs and then import them into the new WP setup and then remove the old blog directories. I will be careful about the old directory names so they don't conflict with the new blogs, but I haven't gotten that far.
So I created the new third blog but can't get it to work.
When I try to access the new blog at example.com/new, I get 404 on /index.php. When I access example.com/new/wp-login.php I get a blank screen and this in the error log:
PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_get_current_user() in /var/www/vhosts/example.com/httpdocs/wp-includes/capabilities.php on line 1059
So something is TRYING to work.
* I'm positive that my .htaccess file is set as directed on the Network panel and is active.
* The wp-config lines were added and double-checked.
* the directory /new does not exist
* The root-level site works (I renamed index.php to wp-index.php so it doesn't conflict with my existing site).
* I've tried re-uploading all the WP files
* All plug-ins are disabled and default theme is used
I'm at a loss...