[resolved] Strange text appearing over my website on mobile version (5 posts)

  1. loudneighborssound
    Posted 2 years ago #

    When accessing my website on a browser, it looks great. When looking at it on my iPhone, strange text comes up over the website on every page, some kind of advertisement for another website...spam, basically. (It also presents itself as a "reader" file on a mobile device, further aggravating me.) When I Inspect my webpage in Safari, I see the malicious code loads, but just doesn't present itself.

    I have scoured all over my folders on my GoDaddy server as well as WordPress, but I must be looking in the wrong places. Can anyone tell me where to look to find this code, and how it happened? I may have had some folders set to writeable that are now locked correctly.


  2. loudneighborssound
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Also, when I view my site in IE 10, site looks fine. When I view the site in "Compatibility Mode", the code appears at the top of my website behind the header. Where do I find this code to remove it?

  3. WPyogi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Unfortunately, it's not always easy to track down malicious code like that. These are the suggested resources for hacked sites:


    Additional Resources:

    But it's also possible a plugin is partly or fully responsible so try deactivating all your plugins as well. But go through the above resources no matter what -- as you want to completely clean up the problem and prevent it from happening again. If you just remove the bad code, that's often not enough. Talk to GD too - they've had a lot of hacked server problems lately.

  4. loudneighborssound
    Posted 2 years ago #

    The source of the problem ended up being some sort of hacked code that ended up being quite widespread on GoDaddy's server. I was able to reupload the website from a back up and the problem as well as then change my folders on the server to Read Only and the problem has not been back.

  5. daxcastro
    Posted 2 years ago #

    I found the code at the bottom of function.php Removed it and made function.php read only. Just means I have to chmod when I install new plugins, but better than being hacked again.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic