First of all, thank you in advance to everyone here who has any input on this issue.
Now for the problem:
I set up an xampp instalation with WordPress. Everything works great until I change "localhost" to the IP address of the machine, which in this case is simply 192.168.100.160 - a perfectly sensible, non routing address (I operate on the same subnet when I try to access the site.)
What happens is that as soon as I change the value of localhost (WordPress-Settings-General) to 192.168.100.160 none of my links from my wordpress pages open. The pages themselves navigate fine, but the links on the pages (most of which are links to various documents, do not open).
Thank you again to anyone who can help out.