Some thoughts from a new WP user…
I’m in the process of integrating WP into a site that I’m constructing this summer. All for fun, really. I just have some thoughts about what would make this process easier for me, and some features that I would like to see.
- There is a lot of good information available in these forums, but sadly, little of it makes it to the Wiki. If you post a good working solution for a problem that a lot of people have or a good modification, why not add it to the Wiki, where it really belongs? It’s easier to find things in the Wiki than to search the forum and read 1000 posts.
- I really wish that WordPress supported multiple pages. That is to say, I would like to use WordPress for the ease of entering and tracking information, but I would like to be able to segregate certain topics from one another, onto different pages with different formatting. I think that all that this would really require is allowing other pages to not automatically link back to index.php when a (more…) link, or the title of the article is linked. If the name of the page is myotherpage.php, then clicking (more…) should bring up that page on myotherpage.php. This doesn’t seem like it would be difficult to implement, and it would increase the flexibility of the WP software.
- I would like to see the default search function improved. I would like to be able to search for a string within a category. If myotherpage.php is displaying topics from only one category, adding the default search feature to the page doesn’t work well, because if you search for “string,” it doesn’t restrict it to that string within the one category displayed on the page. If the header of myotherpage.php contains $cat= 3, permanently restricting the posts on that page to category 3, then searches done through the default search function, through a search form on that page, should respect that restriction and not return results from all categories.
- There’s trouble when you attempt to use multiple headers to specify posts for a page. I can use $cat= -29; or I can use $posts_per_page= 4;, but using both never seems to work properly.
Some of you would probably suggest to me that I run multiple blogs on my site in order to achieve these functions. My response is that I would prefer to have all of my data in a single database, not in separate tables.
Granted, I haven’t been using WP for very long, and I think I’ll be able to get it to conform to my needs. I just wanted to leave my thoughts here, in a somewhat organized manner. I have nothing but admiration and kudos for the developers working on this (and all other) opensource projects. I am not complaining!! Just leaving my thoughts. Thanks!
- The topic ‘Some thoughts from a new WP user…’ is closed to new replies.