Let me me preface this with super noob status. Not sure where to start, so these are the exact steps I took that lead to the mistakes. I wanted to move a site from one server to another, I thought I read enough on how to do it. I shouldn’t have tried.
1) Once my site on server 1 was complete, I changed the wordpress address and site address like instructed in http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress.
2) When I did this, I could no longer link to the site.
3) I took the entire WP installation folder and made a copy on my hard drive.
4) I attempted to just upload that entire folder to server 2 via FTP which hosted a WP site I had just redesigned. I changed the wp-config file to the setting on the wp-config file that was being replaced. This did nothing.
5) After numerous tries to make the new site live on Server 2, I basically just restored the original site. It is now working. http://columbus.iabc.com
6) I thought I could just do the same to server 1. I basically just took my entire WP folder I had downloaded and uploaded it back via FTP to the subdomain it was always under. It did not work.
7) I edited the wp-config file by adding:
to it in hopes that it would at least get the site up and running. that worked.
8) The site itself is working. When I go to http://stagedoor.mybigtimestuff.com/wp-admin, nothing shows up. It is a blank screen.
9) If I go to http://stagedoor.mybigtimestuff.com/wp-login.php, the login window comes up, but after I log it it takes me to a blank screen. No warnings or errors or anything. Just a blank screen.
All i would like to do is get the site back up and running on server 1, with admin capabilities.
I know there are probably a laundry list of mistakes I made, but any help for someone who tried to do too much and stuff over his head would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
- The topic ‘site/wp-admin is a blank screen. dashboard is gone after trying to move servers.’ is closed to new replies.