Last week the site I managed started opening up with a “Warning: VIsiting this site may harm your computer” page. Clicking to visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page yields the following:
Diagnostic page for http://www.calvarypresbyterian.org
What is the current listing status for [my domain]
Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.
Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.
What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 2 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 1 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-02-10, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-02-10.
Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including petsonli.osa.pl/.
1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including atnywyz.eu/.
This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS32475 (SINGLEHOP).
Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
Over the past 90 days, http://www.calvarypresbyterian.org did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.
Has this site hosted malware?
No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.
How did this happen?
In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.
• Return to the previous page.
• If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.
I had the host server restore the website from a backup (twice) made prior to the problem That did nothing.
I searched all over the forums and the web in general for solutions, ideas, hints, while I continued working with anything with no luck.
At one point the host server restore my account and then sent the following:
Please open your website and go to 'Why my website was blocked'. You will have
to follow Google instructions to have your website unblocked. Then you will
have to wait until your site is re-indexed by Google. Unfortunately, it is
beyond our capability to settle this issue.
The only platform I could get into my website from was/is my iPad. I have been trying to work with the Google Webmaster tools but although I followed the instructions to verify that I was the owner/admin of the account I could not get it to recognize me. Then google said I had to have a Google analytics account to make this work. I set up an account and now it wants me to install a piece of code on every page of the site.
Yesterday the host server wrote me to say:
I have just cleaned your account and files . Please now upgrade your wordpress to the latest version and reset your passwords .Then ask google to review your website .
So I uninstalled wordpress and reinstalled from a fresh copy from the instructions on the WordPress site. I tested the site and I still get the warning message. I am now officially at a loss.