Simple Domain Mapping without any Plugins (WordPress 3.0)
First thing first, I love WordPress 3.0 its looking really good and is going to be a great assist to me and my web media business.
I have just installed WordPress 3.0 rc1 and all is working great, I wanted to bring all my site together under one blogging/site network… But I didn’t like the idea of sub-domains nor using a 3rd party plugin to install Domain Mapping, I also found on the web a way of mapping a domain but you had to edit the mySql data which again I thought was messy…
So I may be wrong here but I have installed my own domains on each new site rather than sub-domains with one small tweak to the wp-config and the site options in ‘Super Admin’… My setup is as follows assuming you have subdomain multisite setup already…
1) I have my Wildcard DNS name setup so all domains point to the main sites IP Address… (search google fo info)
2) I setup a subdomain site from within the WordPress Super admin panel like normal…
3) Go into Sites in your Super Admin Panel, click ‘edit’ for that site, the change the ‘Domain’ from ‘mysite.mydomain.com’ to the domain you wish for that site eg mynewdomain.com…
4) Click ‘Update Options’…
5) At this point your newly mapped domain name should be working…. But the wp-admin login will not work it seems to redirect in a loop….
6)To fix the wp-admin loggin you need to comment out define( ‘DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘mydomain.com’ ); in the wp-config…..
define( ‘MULTISITE’, true );
define( ‘SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL’, true );
$base = ‘/’;
//define( ‘DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘mydomain.com’ );
define( ‘PATH_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘/’ );
define( ‘SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE’, 1 );
define( ‘BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE’, 1 );
7) Thats it… it should all be working… (depending on your server setup)
I was worried by doing this is would maybe do some sort of weird header redirect on the server but after testing I get a ‘HTTP/1.1 200 OK’ which is great…
Anyway this worked for me and it early days, but I thought I would share… Finger crossed this very small tweak will do the trick and work for other…
- The topic ‘Simple Domain Mapping without any Plugins (WordPress 3.0)’ is closed to new replies.