This is what Sitemeter says to do.
1. Select the HTML code in the box (below) with your mouse.
2. Copy it to the clipboard.
(Press the CTRL key and the letter C at the same time.)
3. Login to WordPress.
4. Click on the Presentations tab.
5. Click on the Theme Editor tab.
6. In the dropdown list at the top of the page, select the theme you want to add Site Meter.
7. Click on the Sidebar Template theme file from the list on the right side of the page.
8. Paste the Site Meter HTML before the closing </div> tag at the bottom of that template.
(Put the cursor in the field and then press the CTRL key and the letter V at the same time.).
9. Press the Update File button and Site Meter should showup on the pages of your weblog in the side bar.
When I first installed the Sitemeter I followed those instructions and it worked. In fact, Sitemeter still works, but when I tried to verify that the complete line of code was there, I did not find the code (or any Sitemeter code) I originally pasted in the Sidebar template .
I did upgrade to the latest WP version and in retrospect, that seems to be when the glitch arose, though I can't be sure.
Silly question, but might I have an extra /div> floating around in there that I can delete?
If I still have stats, I assume the code has to be in there somewhere, but I looked in every template and did not find it.