I am currently setting up a WordPress Multisite installation with just two sites. WordPress isn’t coping, with admin pages being extremely slow (10+ seconds per page).
A major culprit seems to be RAM: total RAM usage hovers around 800MB, but I’m actually running on a 512MB RAM virtual server. I don’t know how the virtual server overallocates RAM by 50%, I suspect that ‘extra’ RAM is on disk hence WordPress slowing to a crawl.
My question is: should WordPress MultiSite be able to run OK in on a server with 512MB RAM?
If so, then obviously the next question is what could be wrong with my configuration? I’d love to hear suggestions on what to investigate. My configuration is:
- Virtual server with 512MB RAM – a MediaTemple (ve) server
- Running Ubunto 10.04 LTS
- Webserver is Apache 2.2.14
- PHP version is 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.9
- PHP memory_limit is 96MB
- MySQL version is 5.1.41-3ubuntu12.10
- WordPress version is 3.1.3
- Enabled WordPress plugins are ‘WordPress Importer’, ‘Jetpack’ and ‘WP Super Cache’
- Upon startup of Apache/WordPress, total server memory usage is around 200MB
- Within a few minutes of use it climbs to 700-800MB
- The topic ‘Should WordPress MultiSite operate OK with 512MB of RAM?’ is closed to new replies.