Support » Plugin: Contact Form 7 » Should we continue to wait for update that allows Recaptcha v2 again?

  • Because for years I have used the smart, handy and reliable Contact Form 7, I have been holding out for that magnificent Contact Form 7 update that will return the option to use recaptcha v2. To continue to use recaptcha v2, I am using CF7 5.0.5 on all my sites, exposing them to the security risk of using an outdated plugin.

    So, dear CF7 Developer, Would you be so kind as to let us know: do you plan to re-enable reCaptcha v2 in a near future update, or should those not happy with reCaptcha v3 quietly go elsewhere? Thank you.

    • This topic was modified 10 months, 4 weeks ago by susantau.
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Plugin Author Takayuki Miyoshi

    (@takayukister)

    do you plan to re-enable reCaptcha v2 in a near future update

    No, not at all.

    What is the main reason for you to hesitate in accepting v3?

    What is the main reason for you to hesitate in accepting v3?

    Many reasons, and how I found my way here looking for a v2 answer.

    One is v3 drastically slowing down a website as v3 is used/ran on every single page as part of the v3 algorithm. If you are somehow successfully circumventing that so it is on just the form page I have no idea, but do not see how it can continue if so.

    See the other topic on your Contact Form 7 – “A GTMetrix Test: Is Google reCAPTCHA v3 Slower Than v2?” – or elsewhere online.

    There are also other reasons such as the need for a site privacy policy update just for it’s new snooping, but the slower service and v3 messing around on every single page/post is more than enough for me.

    I spent effort in the past improving a WP site of mine for 100 milliseconds+ speed boosts, let along the 1/2 sec or more v3 adds.

    To add insult to injury the v3 does not seem to stop spammers see the other post – “ReCAPTCHA does not work, with the Contact Form7 update”.

    Hopefully you will rethink the mandatory v3 stance on your useful plugin.

    • This reply was modified 10 months, 4 weeks ago by thomascosby.

    What is the main reason for you to hesitate in accepting v3?

    Google announced they will also fully support V2 in the future, it wont dissappear. Why not give users the option to choose between V2 and V3? I dont see the problem here. Now a lot of people stop using the plugin, that shouldnt be the goal, right?

    • This reply was modified 10 months, 4 weeks ago by ClaitonLord.

    @takayukister,

    You said: What is the main reason for you to hesitate in accepting v3?

    In my view, version 3 of reCaptcha is not ready for the market, there is no way to work with something that will increase the loading of the entire site in 1 second or more … The speed of a website is a requirement for page rank Google and Bing for example. It is impossible, at this point, to use reCaptcha V3. I’ve only mentioned 1 reason, but there are other reasons that prevent us from using version 3.

    Having said that it will not make version 2 of reCaptcha available, I thank you for your efforts, it was important to mention this to your users and I will support my efforts in another form plugin.

    Pedro

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Should we continue to wait for update that allows Recaptcha v2 again?’ is closed to new replies.